Post a reply

Re: World Seniors Championship 2017

Postby eraserhead

PoolBoy wrote:And Lines, duly thumps Parrott 4-0 to lift the title - he didn't lose a frame.

John Parrott 0-4 Peter Lines

Out of curiosity did Parrot score many points?

I had a quick look at Hendry - Lines and Hendry didn't look great, I was too young to see Hendry in his prime so I switched off as I didn't want to watch such a successful player struggling against someone who hasn't really made an impact on the game.

Postby Andre147

Just went to check CueTracker, and as I expected Parrot led the h2h between the 2, in fact 4 wins out of 4 matches when Lines should also have been in his supposed prime in his 20s, early 30s.

Even Hendry won their only match, a PTC one, in 2010.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Quite remarkable to see tonight - Parrot was 10 times the player that Lines was in his prime but that lack of confidence borne out of lack of practice was palpable. I thought that Parrot (and Hendry) were hitting their long shots very hard today,

Postby PoolBoy

eraserhead wrote:
PoolBoy wrote:And Lines, duly thumps Parrott 4-0 to lift the title - he didn't lose a frame.

John Parrott 0-4 Peter Lines

Out of curiosity did Parrot score many points?

I think Parrott's highest break was 23.

Postby SnookerFan

TWITTER ATTACK!

Jason Francis‏ @Snookerlegends
On the 18th Feb Peter lines was 2-0 down to amateur Rhydian Richards and going out... last night he became a world champion! #daretodream

Almost the same as winning The Crucible. :|

Postby Dannyboy

I don't see how this tournament can really offer a place in the World Championship qualifiers - the standard just wasn't good enough. Peter Lines winning the tournament without losing a frame is a bit of a joke.

All World Championship finalists should be given a place in qualifying anyway; why not just go back to this tournament being invitational only? What did the 4 qualifiers actually add to the event?

Postby Wildey

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Quite remarkable to see tonight - Parrot was 10 times the player that Lines was in his prime but that lack of confidence borne out of lack of practice was palpable. I thought that Parrot (and Hendry) were hitting their long shots very hard today,

Hendry's Long game was quite good considering the problem was cue ball control and missing half difficult cut backs

Postby PoolBoy

What did the qualifiers add to the event?
Well, apart from one of them winning it, they won 7 of the 10 games against the 'legends'!

Heck, It's only 1 place in a field of 128, and with some of the lower ranked Tour players sure to not enter, World snooker will be having to look at 'top up' places from somewhere - so why not the Senior Champion?

Strangely, there's not the same objection to the Women's World Champion taking one of the places!

By a strange quirk, it was Peter Lines who destroyed the then (and current), Women's World Champion 10-1 in the qualifiers last year.

I'd fancy him to win very easily if he played Reanne Evans in this year's World Championship qualifiers.

Postby Wildey

PoolBoy wrote:What did the qualifiers add to the event?
Well, apart from one of them winning it, they won 7 of the 10 games against the 'legends'!

Heck, It's only 1 place in a field of 128, and with some of the lower ranked Tour players sure to not enter, World snooker will be having to look at 'top up' places from somewhere - so why not the Senior Champion?

Strangely, there's not the same objection to the Women's World Champion taking one of the places!

By a strange quirk, it was Peter Lines who destroyed the then (and current), Women's World Champion 10-1 in the qualifiers last year.

I'd fancy him to win very easily if he played Reanne Evans in this year's World Championship qualifiers.

Thing is Lines would have played in it anyway having played in 14 ranking events this season as a top up.

Postby PoolBoy

Wildey wrote:

Thing is Lines would have played in it anyway having played in 14 ranking events this season as a top up.

Why? What top-up list is being used? I've not seen any clarification to suggest such.

Indeed, CueView's summary suggests that the Q-School 'order-of-Merit' will NOT be used?

"With World Snooker unlikely to be dishing out invites to Q-School Top Up players (of which Lines may have featured as), it is a terrific opportunity to be awarded."

CueView and Wildey both can't be right - time will tell!

Postby Wildey

PoolBoy wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Why? What top-up list is being used? I've not seen any clarification to suggest such.

Indeed, CueView's summary suggests that the Q-School 'order-of-Merit' will NOT be used?

"With World Snooker unlikely to be dishing out invites to Q-School Top Up players (of which Lines may have featured as), it is a terrific opportunity to be awarded."

CueView and Wildey both can't be right - time will tell!

if all tour players enter there wont be spaces for top up q school players however with 3 players definitely not playing there will be spaces available.

Postby thecueview

Just a quick note about the World Championship Qualifiers and who is likely to be invited.

I understand that Q-School Top Up players weren't the first players to be offered spots at Ponds Forge. Most of the places have gone to international amateur winners and finalists over the past season. Then players from national governing bodies were awarded places.

I understand Marc J Davis and Andy Hicks (who finished extremely high up on Q-School List...may even be the top 2?) weren't offered a World Championship qualifying place. Having links with Andy, I know he is very upset not to have been given an invite.

There is still a chance I suppose from them if someone doesn't enter, although I'm not sure if it is now too late.

Postby TheSaviour

thecueview wrote:Just a quick note about the World Championship Qualifiers and who is likely to be invited.

I understand that Q-School Top Up players weren't the first players to be offered spots at Ponds Forge. Most of the places have gone to international amateur winners and finalists over the past season. Then players from national governing bodies were awarded places.

I understand Marc J Davis and Andy Hicks (who finished extremely high up on Q-School List...may even be the top 2?) weren't offered a World Championship qualifying place. Having links with Andy, I know he is very upset not to have been given an invite.

There is still a chance I suppose from them if someone doesn't enter, although I'm not sure if it is now too late.

It is perfectly ok what you wrote. People should just understand of not being always so sure about it. About everything. That´s just slightly annoying. BECAUSE upsets still happens. You just probably don´t know when those happens. But today is the day (1/365)!! It has arrived!! The only day we can really salute the great unknown Peter Lines. BUT just try to understand that the tomorrow will still once again arrive. You know. Peter Lines has became something of a an ideal. I agree with the likes of Anthony McGill and Jimmy White; just forgot Ronnie now. It has always been a progressive, and it will always be a progressive. So a bit of warning now. He knows that, I know that. What has happened in the past has happened it the past. He needs to try to play slightly different from now on. Peter Lines is now the man. At least now.

The usual suspects amongs the crowd here were finally really admitting being a die hard Jimmy White - fans.. :mood: :mood: Even when he wasn´t playing. Talking about picking the obvious choice.. At least I finally now know what they are on.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:TWITTER ATTACK!

On the 18th Feb Peter lines was 2-0 down to amateur Rhydian Richards and going out... last night he became a world champion! #daretodream|

Pffft. World Champion my ar*e.

:bum:

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:TWITTER ATTACK!

On the 18th Feb Peter lines was 2-0 down to amateur Rhydian Richards and going out... last night he became a world champion! #daretodream|

Pffft. World Champion my ar*e.

:bum:

rofl