Post a reply

What does Ronnie O'Sullivan have to do to end all debate on who is the greatest?

Beat/Equal Hendry's world titles
56%
Beat/Equal Hendry's ranking titles
19%
Both
26%

Total votes : 27

Re: What does Ronnie O'Sullivan have to do to end all debate

Postby vodkadiet

In terms of natural talent he is undoubtedly the best. However, players of any sport have to be measured in terms of their achievements. If he equals Hendry's 7 world titles I will say he is the best player ever.

Postby Holden Chinaski

He's the best in my opinion. It's hard to compare different times when talking about titles, so I don't know which option to choose.

I think almost everybody in the snooker scene agrees Ronnie's the most talented ever and when playing his A game he plays the highest standard of snooker ever seen. But people like Stephen Hendry, Steve Davis, Ray Reardon and John Higgins are stronger mentally and much more stable. Ronnie makes thi,ngs difficult for himself at times and his life hasn't been the easiest. So there are certain parts of being a professional snooker player where some people like Hendry, Davis, Selby are better than Ronnie... But when we're talking about the snooker playing part...nobody ever came close to Ronnie. And all the snooker players know this.

"Ronnie's the only player I would ever pay money for to see him play" - Stephen Hendry

Postby TheRocket

One more world title and another UK or Masters and he would have won more majors than Hendry and there could be an argument he's greater. Despite Hendrys 7 worlds to his 6.

But it's understandable when people say that he needs to get to 7 and equals Hendry number as the World championship is simply the most important tournament out there.

To have any chance of doing that though he's got to win in 2018.

Postby Pink Ball

gallantrabbit wrote:Undoubtedly the best player ever, but needs the seen world titles. Shame he`s such a tremendous kn@b to boot.

I'm still not a huge Ronnie fan by any means, but as someone who used to say much the same about him, is that not an outdated view? Sullivan has copped on a lot.

Postby Johnny Bravo

I went with the first option, since most people value world titles above anything else.
However, as far as I'm concerned, if he manages to win another world title, the majority of the snooker world will acknowledge him as the greatest, despite being one short of Hendry's 7.
He will have just as many majors and he's still the best player in the world at the age of 42.
Hendry was done winning majors at the age of 30, so the gap between the 2 is quite obvious as far as I'm concerned.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:One more world title and another UK or Masters and he would have won more majors than Hendry and there could be an argument he's greater. Despite Hendrys 7 worlds to his 6.

But it's understandable when people say that he needs to get to 7 and equals Hendry number as the World championship is simply the most important tournament out there.

To have any chance of doing that though he's got to win in 2018.

Fully agree with everything excpet the last part. I firmly believe he missed a golden chance to equal his record by failing to win the 2014 Final.

I do believe he can win a 6th, but a 7th? Honestly can't see it.

Postby vodkadiet

Andre

It is not impossible for him to win 2 more world titles. However, it needs to happen within the next 3 seasons. I cannot see him winning at 45 or beyond.

I agree however, that his best chance probably went when he lost in 2014. Also 2005 was another moment that has cost him dearly.

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:Andre

It is not impossible for him to win 2 more world titles. However, it needs to happen within the next 3 seasons. I cannot see him winning at 45 or beyond.

I agree however, that his best chance probably went when he lost in 2014. Also 2005 was another moment that has cost him dearly.

I would say 2006 was probably an even better chance... Ronnie just had a meltdown in that 3rd session of his semi, losing all 8 frames. He had everything to win that. And in the Final, I'm sure he would have beaten Ebdon, especially after what happened the previous year. So for me his best chance was wasted in 2005, 2006 and of course 2014.

Postby vodkadiet

Andre147 wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Andre

I would say 2006 was probably an even better chance... Ronnie just had a meltdown in that 3rd session of his semi, losing all 8 frames. He had everything to win that. And in the Final, I'm sure he would have beaten Ebdon, especially after what happened the previous year. So for me his best chance was wasted in 2005, 2006 and of course 2014.

Agree with that Andre.

Postby Pink Ball

A lot of could'ves, would'ves and should'ves with Sullivan. Then again, I genuinely felt he was done in 2011 and was going to finish up behind Higgins even. Maybe his fans should just be grateful for what has happened rather than regret what didn't happen.

Postby snooky147

Cloud Strife wrote:
snooky147 wrote:https://twitter.com/MoniqueLimbos/status/931967347266609153

He could probably do less of this. #disrespectfultwat

I see someone's had a sense of humour bypass. :roll:

I do in fact have a sense of humor but if you dont see whats wrong with that....well.

Postby mantorok

There's only one thing he needs to do, all his fans wont admit it, but until it happens he will never be seen as great.

He needs to meet Selby in a WC final, Selby will be defending his title of course, I want missed blacks off the spot, missed pinks, missed greens, everything, twitching, sighing, staring up at Steve Peters - everything, but whatever happens Ronnie needs to prevail, strip Selby of his title, extract revenge in the best possible way.

This needs to happen next May, it's the only way, search your feelings you know it to be true.

That's what he needs to do, screw Hendrys records, he was never a proper contender for the world titles after 2002, then spent the next 10 years a shadow of his former self, meanwhile Higgins and ROS are spending their twilight years at the top of their games, something Hendry could only dream of doing, their longevity is enough to surpass Hendry.

Sleby vs Ronnie 2018 WC Final - that's what needs to happen!

Postby Andre147

mantorok wrote:There's only one thing he needs to do, all his fans wont admit it, but until it happens he will never be seen as great.

He needs to meet Selby in a WC final, Selby will be defending his title of course, I want missed blacks off the spot, missed pinks, missed greens, everything, twitching, sighing, staring up at Steve Peters - everything, but whatever happens Ronnie needs to prevail, strip Selby of his title, extract revenge in the best possible way.

This needs to happen next May, it's the only way, search your feelings you know it to be true.

That's what he needs to do, screw Hendrys records, he was never a proper contender for the world titles after 2002, then spent the next 10 years a shadow of his former self, meanwhile Higgins and ROS are spending their twilight years at the top of their games, something Hendry could only dream of doing, their longevity is enough to surpass Hendry.

Sleby vs Ronnie 2018 WC Final - that's what needs to happen!

Beating Selby that way would be Ronnie's biggest ever achievement, even bigger than winning the Worlds after taking a full year out.

It would be even more special if he beat him giving him a taste f his own medicine by winning with a great comeback.

Postby TheRocket

mantorok wrote:There's only one thing he needs to do, all his fans wont admit it, but until it happens he will never be seen as great.

Good point. But sports has always been about playing against the field. Not just against a single player. If Selby loses in the early rounds there's nothing Ronnie can do so he might never get a chance to get revenge for 2014.

The only thing he can do is to destroy Selby as frequently as possible everytime they meet from now on. Whatever tournament and match it might be. Everything else is not in his hands.