Post a reply

Re: John Virgo

Postby Badsnookerplayer

mick745 wrote:Does anyone else find McManus biased towards the other Scottish players?

Had not noticed that but will listen out for it. I know he loves Ants 'oh that's gorgeous' McGill.

Postby SnookerFan

Where has he gone anyway? Has he gone on a quest to find the cue ball?

Postby Dan-cat

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
mick745 wrote:Does anyone else find McManus biased towards the other Scottish players?

Had not noticed that but will listen out for it. I know he loves Ants 'oh that's gorgeous' McGill.

A Scotsman being overly patriotic?

HOLD THE FRONT PAGE! WILDEY MAKE IT A HOT TOPIC!

Postby Iranu

Are we accusing Hendry_fan of being Alan McManus?

I have noticed it actually, but he's not so partisan that it's off-putting.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:Are we accusing Hendry_fan of being Alan McManus?

Alan McManus is The Saviour.

Postby Erza Scarlet

Yes I really miss Virgo too! He was my absolute favourite commentator when I was growing up and continued to be. The only commentator who had a personality and made the crowd laugh...right now it's pretty dull without him. I like Ken and Hendry though. Ebdon is the worst. His accent makes my skin crawl!

It's a shame what happened to him.

Postby Goldenballs147

Alex0paul wrote:
Goldenballs147 wrote:What happened with Virgo? I seemed to have missed it.

He called John Parrott a runt live on air

What’s the issue with that??

Seriously tho...

Postby Johnny Bravo

Virgo is out. Good riddance.
Hopefully Taylor will follow him soon.

Clive Everton was a great commentator. He was very knowledgeable of the game and he put passion into his commentary. They need to bring him back.
Neal Foulds is also a very good commentator.
I also like Terry Griffiths and Joe Johnson.
I saw Jimmy White commentating in the Eurosport studio after matches, think he'll do pretty well live as well.

Postby The_Abbott

Erza Scarlet wrote:Yes I really miss Virgo too! He was my absolute favourite commentator when I was growing up and continued to be. The only commentator who had a personality and made the crowd laugh...right now it's pretty dull without him. I like Ken and Hendry though. Ebdon is the worst. His accent makes my skin crawl!

It's a shame what happened to him.

Ebdon seems to tell a story. And Shaun going to take the blue, probably going to use righthand side and screw the cue ball back into the reds. (player takes shot). and now he will take the red into the right corner may put some chalk on his cue first and then get down onto the shot and strike it cleanly into the pocket (player misses red).

I mean if your blind you might appreciate his commentary but its always 'too' much talk.

Postby vodkadiet

For over a decade I have protested that Dennis Taylor should be fired. I now think that he will still be commentating in 2027. And yet people who hate golf will have imprinted in their minds the winners of every major golf event since 1985.

Postby SteveJJ

Poor WT, no one bumping up his thread to discuss whether they are missing him or not.

Postby SteveJJ

SnookerFan wrote:Where has he gone anyway? Has he gone on a quest to find the cue ball?

Probably doing promo for his new book

Postby SnookerFan

vodkadiet wrote:For over a decade I have protested that Dennis Taylor should be fired. I now think that he will still be commentating in 2027. And yet people who hate golf will have imprinted in their minds the winners of every major golf event since 1985.

He seems to be mentioning it less, to be fair.

Postby Graham

I cannot believe some of you guys/or maybe even girls who make such derogatory comments as to the quality of Mr J.Virgos snooker commentary!!
John is one of the nicest fellas anyone could wish to meet!! and along with being knowledgeable to the highest level within all aspects of the game it has to be said that anyone with an ounce of experience or knowledge of the skill & tactics that are involved within the top level of snooker could only possibly sit and listen in admiration to someone who is capable of reading & predicting the action so well!!
JV continually gets the BALANCE correct when it comes to good informative commentary!! Not getting too technical!! (So as to confuse the lesser knowledgeable viewer!!)
And occasionally providing an acceptable proportion of humorous banter!!
Snooker without JV will have lost a great asset!!
He was a great pro Is a great guy & Is one of the best commentators!!
JV HURRY BACK!!
YOU ARE GREATLY MISSED

Postby Alex0paul

Best commentator by a mile with Clive

Postby gallantrabbit

A changing of the guard was definitely called for. But Hendry is a snooker snob and Murphy is the worst. If he's not being toady with everyone he just talks far too much. Keep getting to semis and finals Shaun FFS.

Postby The_Abbott

Put it this way. I would rather have Virgo, then Murphy waffling on and on and on and on

Postby Dan-cat

Have you ever met a Scotsman who isn't biased towards other Scotsmen?

Postby SnookerFan

Graham wrote:I cannot believe some of you guys/or maybe even girls who make such derogatory comments as to the quality of Mr J.Virgos snooker commentary!!
John is one of the nicest fellas anyone could wish to meet!! and along with being knowledgeable to the highest level within all aspects of the game it has to be said that anyone with an ounce of experience or knowledge of the skill & tactics that are involved within the top level of snooker could only possibly sit and listen in admiration to someone who is capable of reading & predicting the action so well!!
JV continually gets the BALANCE correct when it comes to good informative commentary!! Not getting too technical!! (So as to confuse the lesser knowledgeable viewer!!)
JV HURRY BACK!!
YOU ARE GREATLY MISSED

Graham came online to make one post, and it was about how awesome John Virgo is.

Is it Virgo under an assumed name?

Postby Holden Chinaski

Graham wrote:John is one of the nicest fellas anyone could wish to meet!!

Graham is Dennis Taylor.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
Graham wrote:I cannot believe some of you guys/or maybe even girls who make such derogatory comments as to the quality of Mr J.Virgos snooker commentary!!
JV HURRY BACK!!
YOU ARE GREATLY MISSED

Graham came online to make one post, and it was about how awesome John Virgo is.

Is it Virgo under an assumed name?

Can't be. No mention of Match of the bucking Day.

Postby SnookerEd25

& too articulate.