Post a reply

Re: Pink Ball's Top 10 Players of All-Time

Postby Sickpotter

Alex0paul wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:Neal Foulds has given the best argument to why Ronnie is superior to Hendry: Hendry didn't manage to win anything relevant after he turned 30. Not 35, not 40, but 30 !!! That says it all.

To make an analogy to other sports, Tiger Woods has 14 majors compared to Jack Nicklaus's 18, yet everyone who has watched that sport will admit Tiger is the best ever.

Here's the review of the UK final: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IHLEDw7Mls&t=221s
The debate about greatness starts at about 2:45

He didn't need to win anything after he was 30

Very true.

I find it interesting that that those talk of Ronnie being the best due to how quickly he plays are quick discount how quickly Hendry amassed his title haul. :john:

Golf is even harder than snooker to make comparisons across generations, equipment/technology has drastically changed the game. Persimmon woods of the Nicklaus era compared to those used in Tigers is like comparing snooker balls from the 1800s to those used today ;-)

Postby Holden Chinaski

vodkadiet wrote:Stephen Hendry is the most decorated player of all time, which equates to being the greatest.

Hendry also really loves eating meat, if you go by his twitter.

Postby vodkadiet

Holden Chinaski wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Stephen Hendry is the most decorated player of all time, which equates to being the greatest.

I have never said that Hendry wasn't a Nazi...

Postby Alex0paul

vodkadiet wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

:adolf:

Postby Holden Chinaski

vodkadiet wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

Hitler became full vegetarian in 1942 and, according to Albert Speer and Goebbels, Hitler talked a lot about animal suffering at the diner table, trying to convince his fellow nazi's to stop eating meat. He also asked Eva Braun to stop wearing so much cosmetic make up, because of the animal cruelty related to it. Most Nazi leaders were very fond of animals and all had pets.

So why would a meat eater be a nazi? Know your history.

Postby Cloud Strife

Holden Chinaski wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

Hitler became full vegetarian in 1942 and, according to Albert Speer and Goebbels, Hitler talked a lot about animal suffering at the diner table, trying to convince his fellow nazi's to stop eating meat. He also asked Eva Braun to stop wearing so much cosmetic make up, because of the animal cruelty related to it. Most Nazi leaders were very fond of animals and all had pets.

I don't think it's so much about a meat eater being a nazi and vice versa. I'm assuming Vodka is equating the ideology of a meat eater to that of a nazi.

Either way, the comparison is ludicrous.

Postby Cloud Strife

Pink Ball wrote:
TheSaviour wrote:PETER DUCER. :hatoff:

I have never been a one to believe something completely rubbish. When you area alive, you are alive. That´s basically it. That´s the time and everthing happens DURING IT. Not aftermaths. During the time I just tried to read of where the jokes landed and tried to learn from it. There´s not much anything else.

PETER DUCER

You're a bucking idiot

Who's Peter Ducer?

Postby Pink Ball

Sullivan is almost as decorated despite the fact his peak coincided with snooker's greatest era. Titles are the most important factor, but let's not act as if Sullivan hasn't been hugely successful.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:Sullivan is almost as decorated despite the fact his peak coincided with snooker's greatest era. Titles are the most important factor, but let's not act as if Sullivan hasn't been hugely successful.

We weren't.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Also, Ronnie's still playing and winning tournaments. His career is not over yet. He was winning rankers and playing brilliant snooker in 1993 aged 17 and still doing it in 2017 aged 42. He's had the highest standard of competition anyone could imagine. He has faced the likes of Hendry, Davis, Higgins, Williams, Hunter, Selby, Robertson, Murphy, Ding, Trump... And he's still out there winning the big tournaments. Age has no effect on his talent.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Just think about the competiton Ronnie's had to face in his long career....

Who have been his main rivals? Stephen Hendry, John Higgins, Mark Williams and Mark Selby! Four of the absolute greatest players of all time. And Ronnie still managed to win 31 ranking titles and counting. You have to admire that. He's had the toughest competition anyone could imagine.

Postby Johnny Bravo

That's the stupidest post in Snooker Island history.
By your logic, Joe Davis is the greatest player ever cause he has 15 World Titles and nobody will ever top that.

However, most of us who have a brain know that is not the case.
Kareem Abdul Jabar and Karl Malone have scored more points than anyone else in NBA history. Bill Russel and 9 others have more championships than Michael Jordan, yet everybody considers Michael Jordan the superior player.
Josef Bican has score more goals than any other footballer, yet nobody considers him superior to Maradona, Ronaldo Fenomeno or Messi.
Speaking of Messi, he has never won the World Cup, yet many consider him the greatest and superior to Pele, who has won 3.

The number of titles a sportsman wins depends on the era he plays in and the opposition he faces.
Given the fact that Hendry couldn't manage to win anything relevant after the age of 30 (once the class of 92's game matured and new good players emerged), it's safe to say he wouldn't have won half of what he did had those players turned pro at the same time as him.

Ronnie O'Sullivan is the greatest player to ever pick up s cue, and by quite a margin.
He can play the game to a higher level than anyone else and he's a joy to watch at the same time.
His name guarantees a packed house when he plays, so sponsors will always show up when his name comes up.
In a sense u could say he keeps the game alive and makes it profitable for other players aswell.
Last edited by Johnny Bravo on 22 Dec 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Postby vodkadiet

Cloud Strife wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

I don't think it's so much about a meat eater being a nazi and vice versa. I'm assuming Vodka is equating the ideology of a meat eater to that of a nazi.

Either way, the comparison is ludicrous.

The comparison is in no way ludicrous. 'Fear is fear, pain is pain, suffering is suffering'.

The life of a lamb is just as important to that lamb as your life is to you.

I don't intend to make comfortable for those who wilfully cause suffering to innocent beings because of their dietary choices. And if means comparing those who continue their barbaric life choices to being Nazis then so be it.

Postby Sickpotter

Yes it is ludicrous and you're beyond clueless for suggesting otherwise. :hatoff:

What will you do when some nutjob decides plants have feelings and they're suffering horribly when they're boiled alive, skinned or dropped in a food processor? :shrug:

Postby vodkadiet

Sickpotter wrote:What will you do when some nutjob decides plants have feelings and they're suffering horribly when they're boiled alive, skinned or dropped in a food processor? :shrug:

Plants don't have a central nervous system. Are you seriously trying to tell me that animals have more in common with plants than with humans? You are probably the nutjob...

Postby Iranu

Humans are biologically designed to eat meat. The fact that we have the means to work around that doesn't change this fact. the problem is with the meat industry not respecting animal life - overbreeding, over feeding, deforming them etc.

As a vegetarian I have no issue whatsoever with people eating meat. I just choose not to be a part of it.

It's ridiculous to get overzealous about a singular topic like this anyway. By the very nature of the world we live in, we are constantly taking the lives of both humans and animals for granted. If you wear clothes bought in a high street shop, you are facilitating and endorsing child labour and slave labour, and abuse of human rights. If you are on the national power grid, if you drive a car, if you do ANYTHING that contributes to the production of greenhouse gases, you are wilfully ignoring the fact that you will be partially responsible for the extinction of many, many forms of life, animal or otherwise.

It's called living in denial, and it is a necessity for living in the world as we know it.

Postby vodkadiet

Johnny Bravo wrote:

That's the stupidest post in Snooker Island history.
By your logic, Joe Davis is the greatest player ever cause he has 15 World Titles and nobody will ever top that.

However, most of us who have a brain know that is not the case.
Kareem Abdul Jabar and Karl Malone have scored more points than anyone else in NBA history. Bill Russel and 9 others have more championships than Michael Jordan, yet everybody considers Michael Jordan the superior player.
Josef Bican has score more goals than any other footballer, yet nobody considers him superior to Maradona, Ronaldo Fenomeno or Messi.
Speaking of Messi, he has never won the World Cup, yet many consider him the greatest and superior to Pele, who has won 3.

The number of titles a sportsman wins depends on the era he plays in and the opposition he faces.
Given the fact that Hendry couldn't manage to win anything relevant after the age of 30 (once the class of 92's game matured and new good players emerged), it's safe to say he wouldn't have won half of what he did had those players turned pro at the same time as him.

Ronnie O'Sullivan is the greatest player to ever pick up s cue, and by quite a margin.
He can play the game to a higher level than anyone else and he's a joy to watch at the same time.
His name guarantees a packed house when he plays, so sponsors will always show up when his name comes up.
In a sense u could say he keeps the game alive and makes it profitable for other players aswell.

Why did you bother?!!

Your post is full of biased opinion just because your beloved has failed to overhaul Hendry's world title haul. Furthermore Hendry was number 1 for a far longer period of time.

I can only assume you are a Brexit supporter...

Postby vodkadiet

Iranu wrote:Humans are biologically designed to eat meat. The fact that we have the means to work around that doesn't change this fact. the problem is with the meat industry not respecting animal life - overbreeding, over feeding, deforming them etc.

As a vegetarian I have no issue whatsoever with people eating meat. I just choose not to be a part of it.

It's ridiculous to get overzealous about a singular topic like this anyway. By the very nature of the world we live in, we are constantly taking the lives of both humans and animals for granted. If you wear clothes bought in a high street shop, you are facilitating and endorsing child labour and slave labour, and abuse of human rights. If you are on the national power grid, if you drive a car, if you do ANYTHING that contributes to the production of greenhouse gases, you are wilfully ignoring the fact that you will be partially responsible for the extinction of many, many forms of life, animal or otherwise.

It's called living in denial, and it is a necessity for living in the world as we know it.

You don't have any issue with 'corpse munchers' because you aren't much better yourself. Vegetarians are also killing innocent animals on a mass scale. If you buy dairy you scarcely any less of a Nazi than boneheaded 'corpse munchers'.

And your arguments make no sense. You can easily avoid animal products, you can equally easily avoid buying clothing that is produced in sweat shops by children.

How on Earth is living in denial a necessity for living in the world?

Postby Holden Chinaski

One of my best friends turned vegan some years ago. I never talk to him anymore.. The only thing he talks about these days is being vegan and how eating meat is wrong. He literally doesn't talk about anything else. We used to have so many great conversations. I miss the guy, but his personality is gone now it seems. He's obsessed.

Postby Cloud Strife

Holden Chinaski wrote:One of my best friends turned vegan some years ago. I never talk to him anymore.. The only thing he talks about these days is being vegan and how eating meat is wrong. He literally doesn't talk about anything else. We used to have so many great conversations. I miss the guy, but his personality is gone now it seems. He's obsessed.

Unfortunately your friend has succumbed to the cult known as veganism. You have my condolences.

Postby vodkadiet

We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.

William Ralph Inge