Post a reply

foul shot

Postby denboy147

After having potted a red the player nominates green, but hits another red instead, is this a foul 4 or foul 7?

Re: foul shot

Postby Wildey

denboy147 wrote:After having potted a red the player nominates green, but hits another red instead, is this a foul 4 or foul 7?

foul 4

Re: foul shot

Postby acesinc

denboy147 wrote:After having potted a red the player nominates green, but hits another red instead, is this a foul 4 or foul 7?

Wildey and Pink Ball are correct in the assessment of foul 4 for this situation. I do suspect that this was a real life situation for you and perhaps there was some controversy that one of the players believed this to be a seven point penalty. If that is true, then I can clear up that issue for you. There are two possibilities; the least likely I shall state first.

There is a variation of Snooker called American Snooker. Very similar to the standard game, just a few different rules, not very popular except in a few small local areas. Probably the biggest rule difference for this game is that for ALL fouls, penalties are seven points, doesn't matter what the foul is or what balls are involved, it is seven points away.

More likely, I am guessing that one of the players is trying to invoke Section 3., Rule 10. Penalties, (d) (iv), which states:

"(d) seven points if the striker:
(iv) plays at Reds, or a free ball followed by a Red, in successive strokes"

so it is understandable for a player to be confused by this rule. Basically, this rule says that if you pot a Red or Free Ball, then fail to nominate a colour but instead you play at and contact Red again on the next stroke whether or not that Red is pocketed, then this is a seven point penalty. This would apply if a player has a short attention span and forgets that he has just potted Red and plays at it again. Yes, I have seen this happen before, especially in the event of a Free Ball. The player pots Free Ball in place of a Red, the colour is re-spotted and the striker just utterly forgets that Free Ball now puts him on Colour and so he plays at a Red after the Free Ball. Sad, but it happens, seven away.

This is not the case in your scenario however. A specific colour, Green, was nominated, whether verbally or non-verbally, therefore, this is not a case of playing at Red on two successive strokes as in Section 3., Rule 10, (d) (iv). Instead, it is a case of failing to contact the Ball On which is four points away for the Green.