Post a reply

Hi from a snooker coach in Southampton

Postby Tim Dunkley

Hi

My name is Tim Dunkley and I am a World Snooker level 2 coach from Southampton.

I coach and run junior leagues at Chandlers Ford Snooker Club, just north of Southampton, and at Waterlooville Sports Bar, just north of Portsmouth, on the south coast of England.

Some of you may have heard of Cuestars, which runs grass-root tournaments across central southern England. I run most of their tournaments and write the reports for their website.

I also write about snooker for the Southern Daily Echo in Southampton and the Portsmouth News.

Tim

Re: Hi from a snooker coach in Southampton

Postby Tim Dunkley

Yes. Billy came through our Saturday morning junior leagues and is the first player from Southampton to qualify for a place on the pro-circuit, as opposed to the old method.

He was coached by the late Ken Jones, who played for Southampton Football Club when they won promotion to the old First Division for the first time in 1966.

Billy earned a free Q School place by winning the Cuestars South of England Championship Tour. The rest, as they say, is history.

He has been back to our club a couple of times this season to play our current crop of youngsters.

I have been writing about Billy for more than ten years. Billy did something that many others haven't done - he stuck to it, and always believed he would make it.

Tim Dunkley (World Snooker coach)

Postby Badsnookerplayer

That's brilliant Tim - you must be very proud of him down there. It's great that he still comes in to the club as it provides a huge boost for younger players to see someone local who has made it onto the tour,

Billy had a tough start to the season I think, but he seems to be finding his feet now. Hope he does well.

Postby Tim Dunkley

Badsnookerplayer wrote:That's brilliant Tim - you must be very proud of him down there. It's great that he still comes in to the club as it provides a huge boost for younger players to see someone local who has made it onto the tour,

Billy had a tough start to the season I think, but he seems to be finding his feet now. Hope he does well.

Billy reckons he's had a great start to the season. His target was £10,000 prize money by Christmas. And he achieved that.

He has a main sponsor, Attic Life, a loft conversion firm based in Frome, who had also given him a car -
as well as secondary sponsor Cuestars.

He's living the dream.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Tim Dunkley wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:That's brilliant Tim - you must be very proud of him down there. It's great that he still comes in to the club as it provides a huge boost for younger players to see someone local who has made it onto the tour,

Billy reckons he's had a great start to the season. His target was £10,000 prize money by Christmas. And he achieved that.

He has a main sponsor, Attic Life, a loft conversion firm based in Frome, who had also given him a car -
as well as secondary sponsor Cuestars.

He's living the dream.

That's great - I certainly didn't mean to demean his achievements! I just remember a couple of tough matches at the start of the season. Really pleased for him

Postby TheSaviour

Hi

And great news; seems I will again be in Sheffield (and in Essex) during the Worlds! So at least in England.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

TheSaviour wrote:Hi

And great news; seems I will again be in Sheffield (and in Essex) during the Worlds! So at least in England.

Hey Saviour - when you are in the UK, do you fancy meeting up for a few pints with the lads. Six a seven a Guiness maybe?

Postby Pink Ball

Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Hey Saviour - when you are in the UK, do you fancy meeting up for a few pints with the lads. Six a seven a Guiness maybe?

Hahaha

Postby Dan-cat

Pink Ball wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Hahaha

Hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha