Post a reply

Break off

Postby jimjfox

Is there a rule that the reds must be hit directly, ie that playing off a cushion first is illegal?

Re: Break off

Postby acesinc

Absolutely not. The break off stroke abides by exactly the same rules as any other stroke: ball on must be first contacted by White, ball on is the only ball allowed to fall in pocket for legal stroke. All other potential fouls apply exactly the same as normal. Except.........

There is just one rule related to the break off that perhaps you might want to consider a "special" rule because it is different than any other stroke. Care to think about it for a bit? I will skip a few lines to let you think, then give a clue.

Have you ever been waiting for your playing partner to set the Reds for your break off, meanwhile, you set the Baulk colours, and when he is out of the way, you decide to change position of the White and accidentally bump the Green or the Brown with the back of your hand? Foul or not?

In fact, this is the one thing different about the break off stroke....you cannot commit any sort of foul prior to the initial contact of the tip on the White for the opening stroke. Technically, the frame has not yet begun prior to this point so there simply cannot be a foul. Other than that, smash 'em up, play off Black cushion if you like. If you do it just right, you might just pot a Red in a middle and leave position nicely on Black to start your 147. I am not a big fan of this break off myself because it always takes Pink well off spot and Pink sometimes knocks Blue off spot as well. Break building can be tricky right off the bat.

If you are looking to open up the Reds immediately, there is a different break off stroke I quite often use. (To be clear, I usually play a standard safety break off, but hey, sometimes you just want to pot balls!) Requires a good comfort level with a lot of side and consequent swerve, but it makes an interesting start to a frame. I line up White very close to Yellow and play a strong stroke, plenty of top left, aiming at about the fourth Red down the line. White should swerve to barely miss Pink and strike the second Red as full as possible. The reverse side will kill a lot of the speed off the Black cushion while the top should hopefully avoid the in off. White goes off side cushion and wanders back into Baulk between the Yellow and Brown.

Using this break, I pot a Red into the top left pocket perhaps one out of three or four, although I also go in off maybe one of six or seven. The Reds split all apart but stay at the Black end so in off is still pretty safe except against a great long potter. If you pot and end up on a Baulk colour to the middle, you can start a break straight away, but if the pots are bad, you can roll up to Baulk and your opponent is very likely to escape but leave you on Red with them split so far and wide. I don't play against anyone that can run more than a handful of balls at a time anyway so this break off is generally reasonably safe and also definitely quickens the pace of a frame from the start. My opponent figures that I just got lucky that I didn't leave a good Red for him, but in reality, this is usually a pretty safe break off even scattering the Reds so much. Black will be covered as often as not, but you can work Blue until you can get the Black cleaned up. Try it and good luck!

Postby jimjfox

Thanks ACESINK
I used to try different breaks, off side or black cushion, or even 2 cushions just to see how the reds spread. Now 72 I'm too creaky for snooker, even when young my spinal problems made it hard to get a good stance. But I practiced a lot, alone because no partner to be had. Played local league, thought I was quite something! Truth was the standard back then was not high & not a lot of players; made highest break one year- 69 with a fluke, was club champion & played John Pullman when he was in decline. One of the rudest men ever, tested our club table cloth & said "What's this- a f*cking ploughed field?" I broke off & got the white back to baulk which brought the question "Who do you think these people want to see play- YOU??" Should have walked out but was in awe of the Great Man.
Had many interesting & funny times with snooker. University champion 2 yrs running, entered Nottingham city champs & had to play at an unknown venue. Arrived at front door of a normal looking house, made my way up 3 badly lit flights of stairs where a ladder led up to the attic! I kid you not, there was a table up there and a strong smell. In the gloom well away from the table a man was cooking pig's trotters on a Primus stove... even Monty Python could not top this one.
I lost that game, strangely.
At the other extreme I played the Rolls Royce club in Derby; table was beautiful, lightning fast which suited me BUT- I couldn't read the electronic scoreboard, never having seen one. So, confused, I kept snookering my opponent yet seemingly getting further behind until the ref quietly pointed out I was reading the wrong score. How embarrassing!

Postby Chalk McHugh

Pullman sounds like a tosser. I would have told him where to go!

Postby acesinc

Great stories and great memories. But I have to disagree profusely. At 72, you are still a spry young guy. Keep hitting the balls, have a go. You don't have to play at the highest standard to still have fun at the game. Often, playing that one great or interesting stroke in a session can make the afternoon and keep you coming back for more. My standard is pretty mediocre but I have made it my goal to keep improving so that I can run a break of my age until Jesus calls me home. Not sure what I will do come my 148th birthday but that is nearly a century off yet. Here is a guy who used to be in my club (moved away a few years ago but still playing the game regularly when he can) who comes up just shy of that age target and he makes you look like a kid still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tARYNgSSzLQ

Keep playing the game if you can. I think there are a few more memories to be had.

Postby jimjfox

Tom has played at a very high standard in past days, to make a 79 break at age 80! Truly inspiring. Not making excuses [!] but here in N Thailand snooker tables are pretty rough, sometimes open-air & usually torn or moth- eaten cloths so the game is not so enjoyable.

Played a bit with Mark, who has mental issues- he belts the balls so hard, in two frames he smashed one, sometimes two balls right off the table no less than SIX times, then smashed the club's cue on the floor. Not really cricket!

Postby jimjfox

Quite a lot- but I won't bore you with too many!

1966-68 at university was the only place where women were allowed to play; also the days of the miniskirt... my game went to pieces there, for a while. Being uni champion I would often get asked "Show me how to..." DON'T LOOK! Oops, too late.

Not very funny but during a very tense league match I was paralyzed by indecision, taking ages trying to work out what shot to play. Came a teeth-clenched bit of advice from a watching teammate-
"hit the f'ing thing as HARD AS YOU CAN!"

That's all folks.

Postby Dan-cat

Jim you need to start your own thread with these stories!!! killer!!!

Ace - love it. I use the off the black cushion with a lot of left to split the reds sometimes. Gonna try your swerve shot!! Send a vid!