33%
Steve Davis
7%
John Higgins
3%

Total votes : 30

GOAT?

Postby Ash147

I know there have been several of these over the years, but I think it’s time for an update. With Ronnie surpassing Davis’ UK Championship record and Hendry’s majors record, who do you rate as the GOAT?
Last edited by Ash147 on 10 Dec 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Re: GOAT?

Postby vodkadiet

7 > 5

Postby Pink Ball

The UK Championship in its current guise is a bastardised, watered-down version of a once great tournament.

But regardless of whether he won or not tonight, O’Sullivan is the greatest ever. Seen ‘em all, he’s one of my least favourites of the all-time greats, but he’s the best of the lot and has been for about five years.

This win didn’t make a huge amount of difference.

Postby Johnny Bravo

vodkadiet wrote:7 > 5

Irrelevant. Hendry played in a weaker era and he was finished aged 30, cause he couldn't compete with the rising standard.
Ronnie has faced tougher competition and he's still the best player in the world at the age of 43. At the same age Hendry was barely getting past the first rounds and he retired.

By the time he retires, ROS will hold most records. The only one that he might not get is the total tally of WC.

Postby vodkadiet

This is the weakest era ever. O'Sullivan had to wait until Hendry was well past his best before he could lay a glove on him at The Crucible.

Postby Pink Ball

vodkadiet wrote:This is the weakest era ever. O'Sullivan had to wait until Hendry was well past his best before he could lay a glove on him at The Crucible.

Yes.

It’s just a pity that he also has to deal with the likes of Doherty, Williams, Ebdon and a few others he never had to deal with in the early ‘90s. Raising your game for one player wasn’t enough by then.

Postby The_Abbott

Billy Gruff

Postby The_Abbott

Dan-cat wrote:Two people voted for the Nugget?!

That would be true if snooker ended in 1989.

Postby Johnny Bravo

The_Abbott wrote:

Had it ended then, I would have cast my vote for the late great Alex Higgins. :-)

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:This is the weakest era ever. O'Sullivan had to wait until Hendry was well past his best before he could lay a glove on him at The Crucible.

Higgins, Ronnie and MJW were far too young in the early 90s.

SInce the start of 97, they started to dominate and Hendry failed to win consistenly.

Postby acesinc

vodkadiet wrote:7 > 5

15 > 7

In fact, fifteen is more than double seven. And undefeated in championship play makes the feat that much more impressive. In fact, had there not been a Joe Davis, not one of you guys would even know any of these players' names today.

Are you looking to find the greatest talent regarding the endeavour, which tends to be predicated on and improved upon the talent which had gone before? Or are you looking to define a Greatest Of All Time personality that improved and advanced the entire lot of the Snooker Universe?

If the former, whichever you choose from your list is certain to be replaced a decade, or two, or three from now and that name may not even be recognized at all a century from now. But if the latter, then there can be no argument.

Postby mick745

I am worried that if Ronnie's dominance continues it'll make the sport a bit dull.he steamrollered the field in York. Will Ronnie have enough close matches to make it interesting?

Postby Johnny Bravo

mick745 wrote:I am worried that if Ronnie's dominance continues it'll make the sport a bit dull.he steamrollered the field in York. Will Ronnie have enough close matches to make it interesting?

Us Ronnetes quite like it when he steamrolls his opponents. :win: :happy: :D

Postby TheRocket

Far too early to call it dominance yet imo. Yes he's looking very strong atm and had great results in all the tournaments he played in. But we still have the second half of the season including the Masters and the World Championship to play.

if he was to win the World Championship as well and steamrolled his opponents then I'd agree. That would be a real statement.

Postby kolompar

Pink Ball wrote:he’s the best of the lot and has been for about five years.

We're talking greatest of all time, not greatest of the last five years.

Postby kolompar

Johnny Bravo wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:

Had it ended then, I would have cast my vote for the late great Alex Higgins. :-)

But Davis made more centuries.

Postby Holden Chinaski

The highest standard of snooker I've ever seen is Ronnie's A game, and his B game is good enough to beat most players as well.

His break building, his positional play, his safety play, his shot selection, his long potting, his bottle... It's all fantastic. And then there's his longevity. He's managed to adapt to the times, something Hendry could not do. Ronnie worked on his safety game and improved it when he had to, worked on his long potting and improved that when he had to, worked on the mental aspect of the game and improved that as well ... He just keeps getting better.

Postby Johnny Bravo

kolompar wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:

But Davis made more centuries.

True, but Higgins was drunk for more than half of that decade. Plus he never practiced as hard as Davis.
I'm not implying Higgins was the better player in that decade, but I think he had more impact on the game.
For me greatness is about more than just stats.

Postby Pink Ball

kolompar wrote:

He had done enough to overtake him five years ago. He is now quite comfortably the greatest ever.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Pink Ball wrote:
kolompar wrote:

He had done enough to overtake him five years ago. He is now quite comfortably the greatest ever.

Facile post.

Look at Ronnie's route to the UK final - and on some of the easiest tables ever according to many:

Doherty
Zhou
O'Donnell
Ford
Allen.

And Allen was nearly out of the top 16 a year ago.

How many of those opponents will be remembered in thirty years time (granted - Doherty perhaps but on a wildcard and he nearly knocked him out rofl )?

Now list Davis' opponents in any of his UK triumphs. Any names you recognise there?

Well done to Ronnie, but it was the easiest route to a UK ever and to claim that as the pole upon which to plant the flag of 'greatest ever' is a little underwhelming.

IMO

Postby Pink Ball

Numb nuts,
I’m the one who played yesterday’s win down. The current era is probably the weakest since the ‘90s.

He didn’t need another UK title to be the best of all time. He is already that.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

You bucking melt.

Name the players who Ronnie has played in his recent tournament victories or desist.

Postby vodkadiet

When all is said and done it is World titles that matter most. All this b*llshit about triple crown events is garbage.

And all this nonsense about when 'X' player is on his 'A' game or when 'Y' player is on his 'B' game means nothing.

When Hendry won his 7th World title he had the toughest draw ever and was under the pressure ever and he came through and won.

The reason O'Sullivan has found it so difficult to win the World title in the last 5 years is because he hasn't dealt with the pressure. That isn't to say he still couldn't overhaul Hendry's 7 World titles. This is by far his greatest challenge. As of yet, he hasn't risen above it.

Hendry is the greatest. This is irrefutable.

Postby Pink Ball

I have only made my wife climax once when we've had sex. It was the most glorious orgasm ever experienced, but I can't claim it made me the greatest lover ever. It was a flash in the pan.

Hendry's win in 1999 was the greatest win in snooker history because he rose above superior opposition, the only time he did so. It was glorious, but he can't claim it made him the greatest snooker player ever. It was a flash in the pan.

Postby Alex0paul

Why does it matter?

Postby mick745

I truly believe that Hendry's decline mentally began when he lost to Ebdon in the 2002 final. He was truly shocked to throw away that final against an inferior player as he saw it.

He was never the same player after that.

However Hendry's demolishon of White in 1993 is in my opinion the greatest performance ever in a world final.

7 world titles, including 5 in a row ain't no flash in the pan.

Ronnie has taken ages to get to his totals.

Postby vodkadiet

mick745 wrote:I truly believe that Hendry's decline mentally began when he lost to Ebdon in the 2002 final. He was truly shocked to throw away that final against an inferior player as he saw it.

He was never the same player after that.

However Hendry's demolishon of White in 1993 is in my opinion the greatest performance ever in a world final.

7 world titles, including 5 in a row ain't no flash in the pan.

Ronnie has taken ages to get to his totals.

Exactly. O'Sullivan has been slogging away for 27 seasons and is still short of Hendry's record.