4%
1990-1999
36%
2000-2009
52%
2010-Present
8%

Total votes : 25

Re: Which was Snookers strongest decade?

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

To answer the question asked I went with the 80's even though I'm too young to remember the decade. It was when Snooker was at the height of it's popularity which would have given the tournaments an extra feel of importance and excitement which makes up for the lower standard of play and basic TV coverage.
Plus the top players were more interesting as much of a cliche as that is.

The best period though was the late 90's/early 00's but the mid to late 00's were grim and it felt like a dying sport. The 90's felt overshadowed by the previous decade even to me as a child at the time and it's too early to judge the 2010's.

Postby Andre147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Seems pretty clear from this poll that Hendry's era was the hardest.

It has been statistically proven.

hendry's era? For me the strongest started between 1997-2005.... Hendry didnt win many titles in this period, just when a certain trio started to dominate the sport.

Postby The_Abbott

I'm not sure. I mean the 80's were great but was it competitive enough? With Lean Davis V Smokey Bandit.

90's - I must admit I kind of went off snooker because of Hendry's dominance. It was only around 1997 that I returned to the game but there were some weak players in his day.

Post Hearn - we have seen some journeymen and newcomers winning titles but only because there are about a thousand events in the calendar so you can't really judge based upon that.

Guess I will have to say 2000-09

Postby Wildey

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:To answer the question asked I went with the 80's even though I'm too young to remember the decade. It was when Snooker was at the height of it's popularity which would have given the tournaments an extra feel of importance and excitement which makes up for the lower standard of play and basic TV coverage.
Plus the top players were more interesting as much of a cliche as that is.

The best period though was the late 90's/early 00's but the mid to late 00's were grim and it felt like a dying sport. The 90's felt overshadowed by the previous decade even to me as a child at the time and it's too early to judge the 2010's.

The 80s was Late Finishes, Bits and pieces frames, very few Big breaks.

Standard wise it was extremely poor the 85 World Championship that Dennis Taylor keeps harping on about was by miles the Worst Championship in Living memory.

So i cant vote for the 80s in this poll.

However all that i mention above Made it the Most exciting era for me.

Postby TheSaviour

Perhaps 2000-2009. Ronnie´s a great player as he always has a good reasonings of why he does what he does. With those okay it is always a professional level. Even without much results. But at times he also had those.

This (2000-2009) decade may fall short in terms of how many different theories. Or even with the results. But the reasonings were all good. And that had much to do with Ronnie.

And just few summers ago I thought that now that Churchill is "my" team in India and that now then everything will be sorted out and I can just relax, relax and relax rofl rofl rofl rofl . But then there were a good explanation of how red might look like a brown to many depending of the sunlight or a light.. Or the lack of those. The red actually is the only colour which kind of a sucks the sunlights and may change. Just ask Ant from California. Or is it that I have finally invented a jacket which has some buttons in it, and a slight mecanisms in it rofl rofl rofl rofl .

Or that I have been forced to "think" that my jacket is brown when actually it is a red ?