Post a reply

Re: Paul Hunter Classic to become an invitational event

Postby Badsnookerplayer

HappyCamper wrote:https://m.facebook.com/Snookerstars/posts/2816379061721590

Looks like a combination of a standard 16 player knock out. And a "speed cup" which I assume is like the shootout or something.

Bit of a shame really - looks like the death throes but I would be happy to be proved wrong.

Postby eraserhead

So it says will play for 20,000 I assume that's the winners share and not the tournament pool. Kyren and Luca have entered and the shorter format will probably attract more of the top 16.

Does this have CoC place or does it depend on if they've got enough different winners?

Postby SnookerFan

eraserhead wrote:So it says will play for 20,000 I assume that's the winners share and not the tournament pool. Kyren and Luca have entered and the shorter format will probably attract more of the top 16.

Does this have CoC place or does it depend on if they've got enough different winners?

At a blind guess, I'd assume it would be used more as a back up if they needed places.

Postby Wildey

The_Abbott wrote:Ronnie might actually turn up then.

How many Top 16 tournaments do we need?

Dont think it will be a top 16 tournament.

My guess its selected invitations Kyren is invited as defending Champ and Luca as token european.

Postby The_Abbott

Wildey wrote:

Dont think it will be a top 16 tournament.

My guess its selected invitations Kyren is invited as defending Champ and Luca as token european.

That sounds slightly better. They should ask the public who they want to see. Then have a best of three, five, seven until Hearn gets the players he wants.

Postby Godot

They realy need to make Shanghai a ranking event again. Barry Hearn told the Chinese they can't have the Crucible or the Masters but they can 'make their own history', but this just strikes me as pretentious. Shanghai was a great ranking event, the current version is just a rip off of the Masters with a slight Chinese twist.

Postby HappyCamper

They've started announcing the entrants for this during the world championships. So far we have:

Barry Hawkins
    Kyren Wilson
    Joe Perry
    Matthew Stevens
    Ken Doherty
    David Gilbert
    Ben Mertens
    Shaun Murphy
    Mark King

Postby Deewee

HappyCamper wrote:They've started announcing the entrants for this during the world championships. So far we have:

Barry Hawkins
    Kyren Wilson
    Joe Perry
    Matthew Stevens
    Ken Doherty
    David Gilbert
    Ben Mertens
    Shaun Murphy
    Mark King

Where are they announcing these?

Postby Andre147

Godot wrote:

They realy need to make Shanghai a ranking event again. Barry Hearn told the Chinese they can't have the Crucible or the Masters but they can 'make their own history', but this just strikes me as pretentious. Shanghai was a great ranking event, the current version is just a rip off of the Masters with a slight Chinese twist.

Yeah it's a travesty how the 2nd longest event from China isn't a ranker now. <doh>

Postby HappyCamper

Deewee wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:They've started announcing the entrants for this during the world championships. So far we have:

Barry Hawkins
    Kyren Wilson
    Joe Perry
    Matthew Stevens
    Ken Doherty
    David Gilbert
    Ben Mertens
    Shaun Murphy
    Mark King

Where are they announcing these?

The promoter's website.

http://snookerstars.de

Postby HappyCamper

With apologies to any Germans for my dodgy translations.

Und hier der Teilnehmer von heute:

Ken Doherty der Weltmeister von 1997 und amtierende World Seniors Champion wird in Fürth dabei sein!

And here is today's participant.

Ken Doherty, the 1997 world champion and current world seniors champion, will be in Fuerth.

Unser Dauergast Mark King darf natürlich auch nicht fehlen.

Our usual guest Mark King would naturally not miss out.

Das vielleicht neue belgische Wunderkind und Toptalent wird von uns eingeladen:

der U16 Champion Ben Mertens - wir sind gespannt die Anfänge seiner Kariere zu bestaunen.

The potential new Belgian wonderchild and top talent will join us.

The u16 champion Ben Mertens, we are curious about the start of his career.