No votes
2018 China Open
No votes
2018 English Open
No votes

Total votes : 18

Ronnie's best maximum?

Postby Ash147

Ronnie O'Sullivan has made 15 maximum breaks in his career. Which of them do you think was the best?

Re: Ronnie's best maximum?

Postby D4P

Off the top of my head, the contenders should be (in chronological order):

1997 World Championship: Duh

2007 UK Championship: This was Ronnie's first 147 made in a decider. In hindsight, this one gains some value because it was against Mark Selby.

2008 World Championship: The cannon Ronnie played on the red/pink was masterful.

2014 Welsh Open: I think Ronnie has said that this was his favorite. It was the last frame of the final, and the deep screw Ronnie played left handed on the final red was a shot that only he could pull off.

2019 World Championship: Ronnie became the first player to make a 147 in the decider of the World Championship final, beating Mark Selby in what came to be regarded as the greatest match in snooker history.

Postby Andre147

Although the 97 one will always be special, for me nothing beats making one in the decider at 8 all against Selby at the UK Semis.

That one will always be the most special for me.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Although for most people it's obviously the 1997 WC, for me it's the 2010 World Open.
It's not due to the break itself, but cause he actually called that one.

Postby eraserhead

Johnny Bravo wrote:Although for most people it's obviously the 1997 WC, for me it's the 2010 World Open.

Those two for me. Don't see anyone other than Ronnie pulling this sort of stuff off.

Postby Andre147

I guess 2010 is iconic because he did call it from the first red potted.

But, given the circumstances, doing one in the final frame decider of the 2007 UK Champs against Selby is one of his finest achievements, I remember being so pumped up after that one.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

The ones you see live are always better than one you watch on youtube. So the 1997 one followed by the 2014 Welsh final. The 1997 one for me is always even more memorable because I got home from school 20 minutes earlier on a Monday then any other day of the week and the break happened in that 20 minute period.

Postby Cloud Strife

eraserhead wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:Although for most people it's obviously the 1997 WC, for me it's the 2010 World Open.

Those two for me. Don't see anyone other than Ronnie pulling this sort of stuff off.

Imagine calling a maximum, live on national television, in front of a packed audience, only to then go on and actually make it? Absolutely ridiculous showmanship.

Postby eraserhead

Actually 1997 just shades it. Crucible, 147 grand and playing in full flow. Hard to think anyone will make one like that again under those circumstances anytime soon.

Edit: Really want there to be a rolling prize specifically for the crucible because of this.
Last edited by eraserhead on 03 Mar 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Cloud Strife

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:The ones you see live are always better than one you watch on youtube. So the 1997 one followed by the 2014 Welsh final. The 1997 one for me is always even more memorable because I got home from school 20 minutes earlier on a Monday then any other day of the week and the break happened in that 20 minute period.

Same here. I was 12 at the time and I remember always rushing home from school so I could watch the last of the afternoon's play. I was fortunate enough to catch this one live. Good times.

Postby eraserhead

Cloud Strife wrote:Imagine calling a maximum, live on national television, in front of a packed audience, only to then go on and actually make it? Absolutely ridiculous showmanship.

Those two really sum up Ronnie. The 146 in Wales is another favourite break just because it shows that other side of Ronnie.

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:
eraserhead wrote:

Imagine calling a maximum, live on national television, in front of a packed audience, only to then go on and actually make it? Absolutely ridiculous showmanship.

He tried out of it, technically.

He shook hands on 140, so if he'd had his way he'd have called it and not get it.

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
eraserhead wrote:

He tried out of it, technically.

He shook hands on 140, so if he'd had his way he'd have called it and not get it.

Wasn't that all an act though? Including the part about asking what the 147 prize was?

I think I read somewhere he colluded beforehand with Verhaas. They cooked up a plan where Ronnie was going to "refuse" to pot the black and Jan would step in and persuade him to do it.

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:
Wasn't that all an act though? Including the part about asking what the 147 prize was?

I think I read somewhere he colluded beforehand with Verhaas. They cooked up a plan where Ronnie was going to "refuse" to pot the black and Jan would step in and persuade him to do it.

If I remember correctly, it was Monique that posted that on here.

I've always desperately hoped that this isn't true. A player hasn't got any right to tell a referee what decisions to make during a match. If Ronnie did collude with Jan, under any circumstances, it's entirely inappropriate behaviour from Jan.

The referee is the one who makes the calls in the match, and if a player asks him pre-match to interpret any decision for him, the referee should flat out refuse.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

If I remember correctly, it was Monique that posted that on here.

I've always desperately hoped that this isn't true. A player hasn't got any right to tell a referee what decisions to make during a match. If Ronnie did collude with Jan, under any circumstances, it's entirely inappropriate behaviour from Jan.

The referee is the one who makes the calls in the match, and if a player asks him pre-match to interpret any decision for him, the referee should flat out refuse.

I don't believe that story for a minute unless there's mors substantial evidence.

I think Jan's too professional to do that and I don't see what he'd have to gain from it.

I'd believe it if I was told: Ronnie had mentioned to Jan that he wouldn't pot the final black if he was on a 147, and that when it came down to it Jan decided to persuade him to pot it.

Postby Dan-cat

We've already debated this at length, SF hated it and I loved it, him saying it's sport and should be treated seriously, I say it's a pub game that got lucky and I love a bit of theater

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:We've already debated this at length, SF hated it and I loved it, him saying it's sport and should be treated seriously, I say it's a pub game that got lucky and I love a bit of theater

So, you believe Jan was in on it from the start?

Postby D4P

Ronnie tells his side of the "reluctant 147" in his book "Running". According to Ronnie, Jan had nothing to do with it other than to encourage Ronnie to pot the final black "for your fans".

As most people probably know, Ronnie did it to make a statement about Hearn's recent decision at the time to eliminate the prize for 147s.

Postby SnookerFan

D4P wrote:Ronnie tells his side of the "reluctant 147" in his book "Running". According to Ronnie, Jan had nothing to do with it other than to encourage Ronnie to pot the final black "for your fans".

As most people probably know, Ronnie did it to make a statement about Hearn's recent decision at the time to eliminate the prize for 147s.

Not read the book, but I was hoping that was the case.

Postby SnookerFan

D4P wrote:2019 World Championship: Ronnie became the first player to make a 147 in the decider of the World Championship final, beating Mark Selby in what came to be regarded as the greatest match in snooker history.

:chin:

Postby D4P

SnookerFan wrote:
D4P wrote:2019 World Championship: Ronnie became the first player to make a 147 in the decider of the World Championship final, beating Mark Selby in what came to be regarded as the greatest match in snooker history.

:chin:

Oops, that should say "2020 World Championship".