Post a reply

Betway Gibraltar Open !!!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Wednesday 13th ~ Sunday 17th of March at the Tercentenary Sports Hall, Gibralta

With only 7 top 16 players and Ryan Day as defending champion there its another Great chance for someone to pick up a ranking tournament theres 187 players starting out with 97 Main tour players.

Kyren Wilson as World no 7 is the highest rank player in the field but also there is Barry Hawkins, Shaun Murphy, Stuart Bingham and Ali Carter all proven Tournament winners.

Who will win?

DRAW

Selected Last 128 Matches

Ryan Day v Lukas Kleckers
Billy Joe Castle v Sam Craigie
Hamza Akbar v Michael White
Joe Swail v Gerard Greene
Luca Brecel v Liam Highfield
Yan Bingtao v Lee Walker
Robin Hull v Zhang Anda
Shaun Murphy v Matthew Stevens
Anthony McGill v Zhang Yong
Scott Donaldson v Duane Jones
Kurt Maflin v Joe O'Connor
Soheil Vahedi v Thepchaiya Un-Nooh
Stuart Bingham v Mike Dunn
Jack Lisowski v Hammad Miah
Gary Wilson v Zhao Xintong
Ken Doherty v Oliver Lines
Adam Stefanow v Robert Milkins
Robbie Williams v Jimmy White
Kyren Wilson v Jordan Brown

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: Gibraltar Open !!!

Postby Alex0paul

Mike Dunn is due a ranking title

Postby Iranu

Cloud Strife wrote:Is Ronnie playing in this?

He'll do anything for a ranking point.

Postby TheRocket

Bingham's really that type of dude who plays in every tournament.

Even though its understandable this time as his place in the Top16 for the Crucible is not safe yet.

Postby Alex0paul

TheRocket wrote:Bingham's really that type of dude who plays in every tournament.

Even though its understandable this time as his place in the Top16 for the Crucible is not safe yet.

He must have a terrible home life

Postby SnookerFan

Alex0paul wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Bingham's really that type of dude who plays in every tournament.

That or, y'know. He's a snooker player.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:

That or, y'know. He's a snooker player.

Yea its baffling how people who make a living out of a hobby then starts complaining they play snooker all the time where as before they used to do it for nothing.

Postby Andre147

Bingham could be WN1 and World Champion and he'd still play every tournament.

Nothing wrong with that, he considers it as a daily job I suppose like all of us have. Difference is he travels around the world and gets paid good money for it.

Postby Wildey

This is the final counting event for the Tour Championship in Llandudno starting 19th of March.

Mark Allen, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Neil Robertson, Judd Trump, Mark Williams and Mark Selby already secured their place in the tournament.

This Week Stuart Bingham, Kyren Wilson and David Gilbert will be trying to get the final 2 spots with Bingham and Wilson very much in the Box seats. Gilbert in 9th spot is £5,500 behind Wilson in 8th with £6,000 for reaching the semi finals.

Obviously if Wilson beats Jordan Brown in the last 128 that will mean Gilbert has to reach the Final in Gibraltar to have a chance of getting in.

Postby Koninkaulus

Wildey wrote:Obviously if Wilson beats Jordan Brown in the last 128 that will mean Gilbert has to reach the Final in Gibraltar to have a chance of getting in.

Unless Bingham loses in the first round, assuming tied players would be ranked on countback. Isn't that how it goes?

Based on his form and with an eye on the draw, I'd say Gilbert's chances of reaching the semis or the final here are pretty good. Of course, knowing he has to go deep adds pressure.

Regarding the Tour Championship, we already know Trump and Williams will meet in the first round a.k.a. quarter-finals, and the loser of tomorrow's final will play Selby. The opponents of Allen and tomorrow's winner will be determined in Gibraltar, with three players competing for those two spots as mentioned above.

Interestingly, Gilbert is playing in Group 7 of the Championship League on Monday and Tuesday, while Bingham is already in the Winners' Group to be played from Wednesday to Thursday. Would it be better for Gilbert not to qualify for that and have a couple of days off before Gibraltar instead? In any case, both of them are obviously scheduled to start on Saturday, not Friday.

Postby Alex0paul

Gilbert will be losing finalist

Postby Godot

Fancy another first time ranking event winner here. I'll go for Kurt Maflin or Xintong.

Postby Alex0paul

Robbie Williams due

Postby Alex0paul

I see there is a Daniel Bagley in the draw. I wonder if he’s any relation to Snooker Island’s darling Jonathan

Postby SnookerFan

Alex0paul wrote:I see there is a Daniel Bagley in the draw. I wonder if he’s any relation to Snooker Island’s darling Jonathan

Imposter. :grrr:

Re: Betway Gibraltar Open !!!

Postby vodkadiet

David Grace is through to the 2nd qualifying round. This is the same David Grace who almost reached the final of the 2015 UK final. Of course the standard of snooker since Hendry dominated is so high that Grace of 2015 would have hammered Hendry at The Crucible.

IT STANDS TO REASON!!!

7 > 5

Re: Betway Gibraltar Open !!!

Postby Godot

Francisco Sánchez Ruíz is one of the more interesting participants out there - former 9-Ball European Champion.

Always interesting when people from other cue sports give snooker a try, I'll be keeping an eye on his result(s).