Post a reply

Cue tip size

Postby simonofthepiemans

Hi all

Does anyone use a tip smaller than 9mm?
I've recently started playing again and have been using an old cue from the club. It feels great, nice weight, I like it. Unfortunately, It's not alwayss accessible and so I've been looking at getting a new cue with similar dimensions.
Turns out, when measured, that the tip I've been using is 7mm. Most cues obviously don't come with that as standard. I've tried playing with other cues with 8, 9, and 10mm tips to try and get used to the larger size, but it's like cueing down a large, phallic bedroom aid. They feel and look positively massive.
Anyone else using non standard tips? Any thoughts on whether I should force myself to get used to a larger size. One part of me is happy/comfortable, but the other part wonders if a larger tip could help improve my currently inconsistent game.
Ta!
Last edited by simonofthepiemans on 13 Mar 2019, edited 3 times in total.

Re: Cue tip size

Postby Dan-cat

7mm does sound v. small. I'd be worried about unintentional side. Try with a 9 or 10 and within a few hours of playing it will feel normal.

Postby Dan-cat

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Wow - smallest I have used is 9mm and that feels small.

never seen 7mm and surprised it is usable.

Switch up to 10mm

+1

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Dan-cat wrote:https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186276-d1896376-Reviews-Simon_the_Pieman-Rye_East_Sussex_England.html

Near me that is

Postby HappyCamper

Dan-cat wrote:
simonofthepiemans wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Simon, do you like pies?

Possibly...

Mysterious

Probably depends on the type of pie. I know someone who only likes savoury pies. Won't eat sweet ones. Madness.

Postby simonofthepiemans

Switch up to 10mm

Imagine going up by 30%. It feels and looks unfeasibly big, and weird.
I've not found 7mm an issue as I used to play with a similar size in pool league. Obviously snooker bake are somewhat larger.

Postby simonofthepiemans

Switch up to 10mm

I've not found 7mm an issue as I used to play with a similar size in pool league. Obviously snooker bake are somewhat larger.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

simonofthepiemans wrote:

Switch up to 10mm

I understand.

It is actually worse as it is a 43% increase.

As DanCat says, the worst likely outcome would be unintentional exaggerated side/top/bottom. Perfectly manageable if you are accurate.

Postby simonofthepiemans

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
simonofthepiemans wrote:

Switch up to 10mm

I understand.

It is actually worse as it is a 43% increase.

As DanCat says, the worst likely outcome would be unintentional exaggerated side/top/bottom. Perfectly manageable if you are accurate.

Yeah, 43% if I go up to a 10mm, but I don't think I'll go that big. 8.75-9mm seems the least daunting.

Postby rekoons

I've heard or read somewhere Shaun Murphy uses a smaller cue tip than most players on tour.
Don't know if it's true, or what size it is though...