Post a reply

Re: Coral Tour Championship Final !!

Postby TheRocket

Cloud Strife wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
boris_the_butcher wrote:
"...Ali Carter and Ding did in the previous years, but then that Osullivan wasnt as good as the one this year.

He won 5 ranking events last year and lost to Aileen, I no longer trust Ron at the WC.

Until he actually reaches the one table setup again, I won't seriously believe he can win it again. Said this last year when he lost, and despite him this season playing better, doesnt change my opinion.

If he does that however, then I will believe he's ready for another crack at it.

Yeah, I think the early rounds might be the most dangerous for Ronnie. He needs to stay ready and alert in case some random clown suddenly decides to play the match of their lives against him.

He'll be the clear favourite in the one table set-up if he can get himself there.

Yeah agree with this. With the three matches under his belt a journeyman could easily play the match of his life against him in the 1st round. ROS has to be ready and prepared to play a high standard from the first frame on. He was lucky he got away with it against Maguire last year. Went 0:4 and 3:6 behind but Maguire obviously bottled it.

Postby TheRocket

D4P wrote:The WSC seedings are subject to change, but as it stands now Ronnie would probably have to beat 2 of Neil Robertson, Trump, and Selby just to make it to the final. That's a tall order...

In recent time he's lost to players who have basicially never beaten him before and have a terrible H2H against him. Might be not a bad thing if he played someone where he knows he has to play at his best to get through.

But you're right nevertheless. It looks like he might have to beat Robertson in the quarters and then Trump or Selby in the semis. Very tough.

Postby D4P

TheRocket wrote:
D4P wrote:But you're right nevertheless. It looks like he might have to beat Robertson in the quarters and then Trump or Selby in the semis. Very tough.

He would have to use up a lot of focus/energy/patience to make it past those guys, and might very well not have much left for the final. I don't think there's any way that Selby can drop down to #4, so he seems locked-in to Ronnie's side of the draw. I think that Wilson, Robertson, or Trump would need to win China for one of Robertson/Trump to move to the other side...

Postby Erza Scarlet

Ronnie would have a better time beating Robertson/Trump than someone earlier on. He's been losing to Bingham, Hawkins and Mr Angry Carter at the Crucible. He wasn't getting beaten by any world beaters.

Postby Erza Scarlet

Though the current draw works both ways.

Does Robertson fancy playing Ronnie in the QF than Trump/Selby in the SF?
Same for Trump. Selby in the QF then Ronnie/Robertson in the SF.

It's a bees nest at the bottom.

One of Robertson/Trump will be looking to go to the top half with a good showing at the China Open.

Postby D4P

Erza Scarlet wrote:Ronnie would have a better time beating Robertson/Trump than someone earlier on. He's been losing to Bingham, Hawkins and Mr Angry Carter at the Crucible. He wasn't getting beaten by any world beaters.

Yeah, but he wasn't beating the world beaters, either. He didn't even make it that far. We can't necessarily assume that he would have beaten the top players if he had made it past the relative Numpties...

Postby D4P

If Ronnie's side of the draw ends up looking as brutal as it currently does, there's a decent chance he might decide ahead of time that he either doesn't want to put out that much energy to win or that he wouldn't be able to win even if he tried 100%, in which case he might talk himself out of winning before the event even starts.

Postby Andre147

D4P wrote:
Erza Scarlet wrote:Ronnie would have a better time beating Robertson/Trump than someone earlier on. He's been losing to Bingham, Hawkins and Mr Angry Carter at the Crucible. He wasn't getting beaten by any world beaters.

Yeah, but he wasn't beating the world beaters, either. He didn't even make it that far. We can't necessarily assume that he would have beaten the top players if he had made it past the relative Numpties...

Yeah theres no garantee if he beat them he would go on to beat a top player.

Fact is it will be down to how much he really wants it and how much effort he's willing to put in. I'd much rather him lose to someone like Robbo or Trump and actually trying, than losing against someone like Carter who probably will never beat him again.

Postby Johnny Bravo

D4P wrote:If Ronnie's side of the draw ends up looking as brutal as it currently does, there's a decent chance he might decide ahead of time that he either doesn't want to put out that much energy to win or that he wouldn't be able to win even if he tried 100%, in which case he might talk himself out of winning before the event even starts.

It will be very tough as u say. However, ROS is more than capable of beating these guys.
Robbo will not fancy it very much if they do meet in the quarters.
Selbo has had a very poor season and unless he wins in China, he won't be coming into the WC very confident. Plus in recent times ROS has done very well against him. IMO he ain't that affected about Selbo's deliberate slow play and grinding any more.
Trump is the one that poses the biggest threat since he isn't phased by ROS at all and seems to give it 100% every time he plays him.

But things might change and ROS might dodge at least one of these guys.

Postby SnookerFan

Was gonna come of the beer until The Crucible, but my dad is ordering us a curry tonight.

Might have one more, then come off it until The Crucible. rofl

One day that lasted.

Postby TheRocket

The only thing I can safely say is.

If the rankings stay as it is he'll have to play Trump or Selby in the semis for sure. I can see one of them going out in the first or second round but definitely not both. Robertson in the quarters remains to be seen. He has lost many first round matches in recent time. Could face someone like Hawkins in the 2nd round.

The ideal scenario would be if ROS gets through easily in his first three matches to have a lot of energy left for the semis.

Postby Dan-cat

D4P wrote:If Ronnie's side of the draw ends up looking as brutal as it currently does, there's a decent chance he might decide ahead of time that he either doesn't want to put out that much energy to win or that he wouldn't be able to win even if he tried 100%, in which case he might talk himself out of winning before the event even starts.

He’s got a different mindset to that.

Postby D4P

Dan-cat wrote:

He’s got a different mindset to that.

Hard to tell how much of Old Ronnie has been replaced by New Ronnie...

Postby Iranu

Why would you think that? That’s not how champions think.

Postby D4P

Iranu wrote:

Ronnie is a "champion" almost entirely because of his physical talent, not because of his mindset. That being said, his mindset appears to have improved pretty dramatically in recent years, and even (possibly) from last season to this season. I do think he's getting better mentally, but he's also getting older at the same time. He spoke earlier this season about how he feels himself getting tired at his age, more so than he used to.

But based on things that he has said (and my own perception of his personality/psychology), plus the impact of his loss to Selby in 2014, I still think that there's still a big part of Ronnie that doesn't fancy winning another WSC. It feels (to him) like a huge time and energy commitment, that he either can't or doesn't want to expend.

But maybe this year will be different. I hope so...

Postby Holden Chinaski

I think Ronnie's mental strength is underrated. Under pressure, he's able to stay very cool and play great shots. Just watch that last clearance against Judd. Some tough shots under lots of pressure, but he played them perfect as if he was practicing.

Postby Rockettim147

D4P wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Ronnie is a "champion" almost entirely because of his physical talent, not because of his mindset. That being said, his mindset appears to have improved pretty dramatically in recent years, and even (possibly) from last season to this season. I do think he's getting better mentally, but he's also getting older at the same time. He spoke earlier this season about how he feels himself getting tired at his age, more so than he used to.

But based on things that he has said (and my own perception of his personality/psychology), plus the impact of his loss to Selby in 2014, I still think that there's still a big part of Ronnie that doesn't fancy winning another WSC. It feels (to him) like a huge time and energy commitment, that he either can't or doesn't want to expend.

But maybe this year will be different. I hope so...

Hope so

Postby Rockettim147

Holden Chinaski wrote:I think Ronnie's mental strength is underrated. Under pressure, he's able to stay very cool and play great shots. Just watch that last clearance against Judd. Some tough shots under lots of pressure, but he played them perfect as if he was practicing.

Ronnie does play some unbelievable shots under pressure, but imo it’s is natural talent which helps him. You can’t teach that, you are born with it

Postby Holden Chinaski

Rockettim147 wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:I think Ronnie's mental strength is underrated. Under pressure, he's able to stay very cool and play great shots. Just watch that last clearance against Judd. Some tough shots under lots of pressure, but he played them perfect as if he was practicing.

Ronnie does play some unbelievable shots under pressure, but imo it’s is natural talent which helps him. You can’t teach that, you are born with it

He also works hard. He practices hard and puts in the hours. He also has crazy mental strength AND he's in great physical shape. Jimmy White was gifted with natural talent as well, but that's not enough.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:The only thing I can safely say is.

If the rankings stay as it is he'll have to play Trump or Selby in the semis for sure. I can see one of them going out in the first or second round but definitely not both. Robertson in the quarters remains to be seen. He has lost many first round matches in recent time. Could face someone like Hawkins in the 2nd round.

The ideal scenario would be if ROS gets through easily in his first three matches to have a lot of energy left for the semis.

I agree. He needs to have mental energy in the tank if he reaches the Semis.

He's not like a Selby or a Higgins who can win a World Title gruelling match after gruelling match.

Postby Wildey

Dan-cat wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:A lot of news out there that ROS has finally regained the WN1 spot for the first time since 2010.
Do they have a memory problem ?! :huh:
ROS was also no.1 in 2014.

He wasnt.

He nearly was, and was provisionally, but then it didn't quite happen

no such thing as provisional anymore since the rolling rankings he would have been no 1 had he beaten Selby in the World Final he didnt so he wasent Johnny Bravo just shows how clueless he is once again

Postby SnookerFan

D4P wrote:The WSC seedings are subject to change, but as it stands now Ronnie would probably have to beat 2 of Neil Robertson, Trump, and Selby just to make it to the final. That's a tall order...

But in the last few weeks, he's beaten Trump in a multi-session match and Robertson in two. In fact, the Trump win and the second Robertson won were only a few days apart.

It's a tough draw, but it's hardly beyond him.