Post a reply

Re: XingPai China Open Final !!!

Postby Dan-cat

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Dan my man, did u hit your head ?! :huh:
Pizza is the best food on Earth. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

It's italian peasant food. Bread, with stuff on top. A warm open sandwich. Hardly scaling the culinary heights now is it? :-)

I'm not saying I don't love it though, I just prefer to eat it at a decent Italian restaurant when it's fresh from the clay oven. I don't think it travels well.

But that's not to say I don't ever have it delivered... I do. But it's usually because it's a group consensus thing and there's a few of us working on something and it's easy to share and you don't need plates etc. Saying it wasn't in my top 10 takeaway is a lie. it's probably 5th or 6th behind Thai, Indian, Vietnamese, Turkish, Chinese and the order would depend entirely on a number of factors... where I am in the world, desired spend (for example, getting good Chinese takeaway in London requires a decent spend in my opinion, the basic level Chinese takeaway is all but inedible unhealthy greasy bullocks) and time it will take to deliver.

With the advent of apps such as Uber Eats, Hungry House et al when I want a delivery I flip on these apps and see what's open and how long their delivery time is. Had a wonderful Chinese delivered the other day from a place called Fortune Cat. I couldn't resist the name and the menu seemed to know what it was talking about.

Also, Jackie D slander! Wash your mouth out with soap :-D

edit: Note this list is takeaway, not a list of my favorite food. French and Italian would be in there, but not for takeaway.

Postby Iranu

Holden Chinaski wrote:People from the UK talking about the quality of food... rofl <doh>

Significant that most of the mentions are foreign foods though!

Postby Dan-cat

I love English food too when it's done well. Although mainly when English food is done well it's... French!

Also the off-topic thing... not the end of the world when the tournament is long gone. The chat can run freeeeeeee

Postby Holden Chinaski

Dan-cat wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:People from the UK talking about the quality of food... rofl <doh>

Food is brilliant here Holden. It's not the 80s anymore. Are you stuck in them?

So you guys don't eat vile stuff like fish & chips anymore?

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:

Except they're not. Not really.

Chinese food over here is basically British food, made to watch British chefs consider a Chinese style. I lived with some Chinese people at university, and they hated Chinese restaurants in the UK. It bore literally no resemblance to the food they ate in China. In fact, they'd never heard of the vast majority of the dishes before, in this supposed Chinese restaurant.

Indian restaurants are the same. The famous one is the Chicken Tikka Masala, invented in Birmingham. But so were pretty much all curries that we eat. Invented by the British, but still called Indian.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

Postby Dan-cat

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

Who says it's vile? It aint. When it's made in a decent place. Even converted the Latvian to them while on a trip to Yorkshire!

Postby SnookerFan

Couldn't we make this a separate thread?

I know it's my fault for bringing the conversation up. But do we need pages and pages on the China Open thread talking about our favourite takeaways?

Postby Holden Chinaski

It's just my opinion that Belgian, French, and Italian food is a lot better than UK food . Most people around the world agree with this. But it's nice if you guys like it... I love English culture. But the food, not so much..

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Except they're not. Not really.

Chinese food over here is basically British food, made to watch British chefs consider a Chinese style. I lived with some Chinese people at university, and they hated Chinese restaurants in the UK. It bore literally no resemblance to the food they ate in China. In fact, they'd never heard of the vast majority of the dishes before, in this supposed Chinese restaurant.

Indian restaurants are the same. The famous one is the Chicken Tikka Masala, invented in Birmingham. But so were pretty much all curries that we eat. Invented by the British, but still called Indian.

Ha yes. Good point. Those are the rubbish places which I try to avoid.. If you seek out the decent Chinese or Indian restaurants where the Chinese and Indian people go those are the best. I'm spoilt in London it must be said.

Postby Dan-cat

Holden Chinaski wrote:It's just my opinion that Belgian, French, and Italian food is a lot better than UK food . Most people around the world agree with this. But it's nice if you guys like it... I love English culture. But the food, not so much..

I could make you English food that you would adore, trust me! :-D

Postby Holden Chinaski

A real Italian pizza is delicious, by the way. Problem is most people outside of Italy eat pizza's that are not Italian pizza's at all.

Postby Dan-cat

Holden Chinaski wrote:A real Italian pizza is delicious, by the way. Problem is most people outside of Italy eat pizza's that are not Italian pizza's at all.

Absolutely. I love it when it's done well. The excuse for pizza that arrives from places like Dominos... ugh.

Goddamn I'm hungry, think I'll have thai for lunch today. Yum!

Postby rekoons

Fish and Chips is basic but delicious.

When I was a kid I tried to eat the full English breakfast every morning of our 10 days holiday in England, but had to give up after 8 days.
Couldn't stand the sight and smell of a hot dish with beans, sausages, eggs and mushrooms in the morning anymore. :wretch:

Only recently I learned that the full english breakfast is not what the Brits eat every morning tough, perhaps once a week or 2, or on holiday?

Postby Dan-cat

rekoons wrote:Fish and Chips is basic but delicious.

When I was a kid I tried to eat the full English breakfast every morning of our 10 days holiday in England, but had to give up after 8 days.
Couldn't stand the sight and smell of a hot dish with beans, sausages, eggs and mushrooms in the morning anymore. :wretch:

Only recently I learned that the full english breakfast is not what the Brits eat every morning tough, perhaps once a week or 2, or on holiday?

If you ate a full English everyday you'd be having a short stay on the planet I reckon!

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerFan wrote:Couldn't we make this a separate thread?

I know it's my fault for bringing the conversation up. But do we need pages and pages on the China Open thread talking about our favourite takeaways?

:goodpost:

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Couldn't we make this a separate thread?

:goodpost:

I think the horse has bolted

Postby Badsnookerplayer

It is stupid to say a nation's food is rubbish IMO.

All nations and cultures have good and bad food.

To say - for example - German food or Indian food is rubbish more likely means you have not eaten in good places.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Badsnookerplayer wrote:It is stupid to say a nation's food is rubbish IMO.

All nations and cultures have good and bad food.

To say - for example - German food or Indian food is rubbish more likely means you have not eaten in good places.

There's definitely good and bad food everywhere. But some nations are known for their excellent cuisine, while others are not. There are places people from around the world travel to because of the food. And there are nations who's cuisine is copied around the world. Then there are places where most tourists complain about the food..

Postby HappyCamper

Was German on the official takeaway list? I assume not since we don't really have it in the UK. But Currywurst and Fischbröchten are great.

Postby SnookerFan

HappyCamper wrote:Was German on the official takeaway list? I assume not since we don't really have it in the UK. But Currywurst and Fischbröchten are great.

Don't think so.

They were struggling to come up with 20, to be honest. They counted sandwiches as a takeaway, because you can buy them in shops.

They also counted sausages as a takeaway, and pies as a separate one. Technically, you can get both in chips shops, but by that logic you can count anything. Mushy peas could be considered a takeaway item on their own.

I guess sausages could count as German, depending on what sort of sausage they was.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:Was German on the official takeaway list? I assume not since we don't really have it in the UK. But Currywurst and Fischbröchten are great.

Don't think so.

They were struggling to come up with 20, to be honest. They counted sandwiches as a takeaway, because you can buy them in shops.

They also counted sausages as a takeaway, and pies as a separate one. Technically, you can get both in chips shops, but by that logic you can count anything. Mushy peas could be considered a takeaway item on their own.

I guess sausages could count as German, depending on what sort of sausage they was.

This is why you need a Netflix account.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:This is why you need a Netflix account.

Not really.

I mean, I mention that I'm watching the show and several days later people are still discussing and debating it.

You sound snooty about watch I'm watching, but it's seemed to have captured everyone's imagination.