Post a reply

Can he be the first?

Yes
30%
No
70%

Total votes : 30

Re: Will Judd Trump break the Crucible Curse?

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:No. The Curse is too powerful

The Grudge! Great movie, this curse will curse any player that comes around it.

Judd is doomed.

Postby Andre147

Erza Scarlet wrote:No.

I think it's just immensely hard to defend a World Championship than it being a curse itself. But that's just me.

It is, but some greats have defended it, but none of them acutally won after their 1st. It's not just a coincidence.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:

I think it's just immensely hard to defend a World Championship than it being a curse itself. But that's just me.

It is, but some greats have defended it, but none of them acutally won after their 1st. It's not just a coincidence.

I Dont class judd in the bracket of someone that can reproduce it time after time anyway i think he will have a tough year as World Champion. Ive yet to see him handling being the fave.

he thrives on trying to shoot people down he strugles being the target and as World Champion hes the biggest target hes ever been.

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

I Dont class judd in the bracket of someone that can reproduce it time after time anyway i think he will have a tough year as World Champion. Ive yet to see him handling being the fave.

he thrives on trying to shoot people down he strugles being the target and as World Champion hes the biggest target hes ever been.

Yeah will be very interesting to see how he copes with that, and he also could become WN1 early in the season which also adds to that pressure.

Some first time World Champions down the years have had a horrible season after it.

Postby D4P

Andre147 wrote:Yeah will be very interesting to see how he copes with that, and he also could become WN1 early in the season which also adds to that pressure.

Some first time World Champions down the years have had a horrible season after it.

Overall, I'm inclined to be bullish on Judd's career going forward. The changes he has made recently (that appear to have really paid off) are changes that appear to be completely under his control, and are things that he can continue doing if he chooses to.

It's not as if he all of a sudden started potting balls at an unsustainable rate or starting making big breaks for the first time in his career. On the contrary, those parts of his game have always been there and will presumably continue being there for the foreseeable future. There's no obvious reason to think that the new wrinkles that he has added are things that would disappear any time soon.

As for handling pressure, I think he did a pretty good job of that this season. He came into the WC as one of the clear favorites, and became only the 4th player in history to follow up a Masters win with a WC win in the same season...

Postby Wildey

D4P wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Yeah will be very interesting to see how he copes with that, and he also could become WN1 early in the season which also adds to that pressure.

Overall, I'm inclined to be bullish on Judd's career going forward. The changes he has made recently (that appear to have really paid off) are changes that appear to be completely under his control, and are things that he can continue doing if he chooses to.

It's not as if he all of a sudden started potting balls at an unsustainable rate or starting making big breaks for the first time in his career. On the contrary, those parts of his game have always been there and will presumably continue being there for the foreseeable future. There's no obvious reason to think that the new wrinkles that he has added are things that would disappear any time soon.

As for handling pressure, I think he did a pretty good job of that this season. He came into the WC as one of the clear favorites, and became only the 4th player in history to follow up a Masters win with a WC win in the same season...

yea but he hardly pulled up any trees in any of his matches leading up to the final he could have lost any of them form wise.

in his own mind he was second faverite in the final so he managed to perform which is an assett. a bit like hendry although hendry was fave most of the time he still performed his best against the best players.

i hope he manages to get comfterble being the man to beat but ive yet to see that from him.

Postby Iranu

Wildey wrote:
D4P wrote:

yea but he hardly pulled up any trees in any of his matches leading up to the final he could have lost any of them form wise.

in his own mind he was second faverite in the final so he managed to perform which is an assett. a bit like hendry although hendry was fave most of the time he still performed his best against the best players.

i hope he manages to get comfterble being the man to beat but ive yet to see that from him.

Not to mention he was playing Higgins who I doubt he ever saw himself as favourite against until now.

Postby The_Abbott

I hope not, otherwise we have lost some of Crucible history. Trump struggles against gritty players so he'll get one of them next year and lose. The curse is the king (or Queen) of the crucible!

Postby Pink Ball

Wildey wrote:
D4P wrote:

I know what you mean, but in terms of being favourite going into individual matches, he has improved a lot. In fact, I'd say it was the way he improved in terms of putting away players he should be putting away that convinced me he was a different player from before. Not perfect, still lost matches to guys that are inferior to him. But much improved. That was his biggest failing in recent years. His tactical game has actually been in good fettle for a while now.