Post a reply

Biggest shocks of the WC

Postby Badsnookerplayer

What - for you have been the biggest surprises in this years tournament.

For me I would probably say:

Wilson beating Selby
Luo's poor performance - I expected more
Gilbert making the semi

Re: Biggest shocks of the WC

Postby vodkadiet1

Hendry writing the word 'Suspenders' on a card in 'House Of Frames'.

Postby TheSaviour

Cahill seems to me a very solid prospect for the future! And not only that, but he´s also fairly entertaining. He just shouldn´t change much anything. He´s certainly there for the future. No matter what his status ever might be then.

Selby´s loss against Gary was down to the Judd Trump - fear factor, I reckon.. Mark did made some rather not so typical to him mistakes regarding positioning the cue ball. And he had to play the safeties instead of having his normal Crucible-break building going on.. Those safeties were good enough and a correct decisions, I reckon. So fair play to Gary as he was still able to punish Mark.

Gilbert´s not doing much anything wrong. Obviously anyone can tell his overall-package has been there for some years already. Nice to see he has been able to make it so visible now. Well he has been done that already during this season.. Let´s say 3 years ago he actually seemed a bit amateur, to be honest. If Cahill´s status still is an amateur he does seems to be a very, very mature (and a great) player while Gilbert used to look like an amateur a 3 years ago. Gilbert still has some tiny, tiny flaws and a question marks out there but not much anything. To say. And hands down, he has beat many truly dangerous players already now. So a great, great show from Gilbert already now! So come on Gilbert, do beat John Higgins now! From 13-11 up.

Surprisingly Gary is currently trailing only 7-9 against Judd Trump! That´s almost a shocking result. I would had expect he would be trailing much more.

Postby The_Abbott

Gary Wilson and Dave Gilbert in the Semi Finals. I don't mind the odd surprise. It keeps it fresh but my gut feeling is they will be in the Swail/Hicks camp of never appearing at the latter stages again.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Ronnie losing in the first round to an amateur, which made him look like a fool, and broke all of us Ronnetes hearts. :sad:

Postby D4P

It wasn't surprising that Ronnie lost early, but I suppose it has to be considered a shock that he lost to the only amateur to ever play in the event. Then again, there's probably a part of Ronnie that kinda likes having that distinction...

Postby mick745

The_Abbott wrote:Gary Wilson and Dave Gilbert in the Semi Finals. I don't mind the odd surprise. It keeps it fresh but my gut feeling is they will be in the Swail/Hicks camp of never appearing at the latter stages again.

Didnt Swail get to the semi's twice?

Postby HappyCamper

mick745 wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:Gary Wilson and Dave Gilbert in the Semi Finals. I don't mind the odd surprise. It keeps it fresh but my gut feeling is they will be in the Swail/Hicks camp of never appearing at the latter stages again.

Didnt Swail get to the semi's twice?

yup. in consecutive years.

Postby Ck147

2 for me, Ronnie losing to Cahill and Robbo going out when he did