Post a reply

Who is the greatest player to have never won the World Championship?

Ding Junhui
35%
Jimmy White
65%

Total votes : 23

Re: Ding or Jimmy

Postby Godot

Vallomas wrote:They are not even close. Jimmy.

That's not really fair, Ding has more ranking titles after all.

Postby Erza Scarlet

Jimmy simply because of the 6 world finals. He must've been doing something great to keep reaching so many finals. Just kept messing up in a few of them and having to face prime Hendry.

Ding's been unlucky a few times too having to face peak Selby 2x and Trump 2x but he should've done better against Hawkins in one of their two encounters. Especially last year. I doubt a peak Jimmy would've screwed up 2015 or 2018 editions of WC. He'd have won 1 of them.

Postby The_Abbott

Jimmy hands down. But he could still win it now that he has 2 more years on the tour. Keep flying in practice Jimmy.

Postby SnookerFan

I wonder how well Jimmy would've done, if he hadn't been enjoying the white stuff for most of his career.

Postby Ronnie79

Ding without doubt. he has won more than jimmy already, losing 6 finals should not put white ahead of him.

Postby Ronnie79

Ding without doubt. he has won more than jimmy already, losing 6 finals should not put white ahead of him.

Postby Pink Ball

Ronnie79 wrote:Ding without doubt. he has won more than jimmy already, losing 6 finals should not put white ahead of him.

Exactly. If we're going to reward players for what they didn't win, Matthew Stevens is the greatest player of all time.

Postby Dan-cat

Erza Scarlet wrote:Jimmy simply because of the 6 world finals. He must've been doing something great to keep reaching so many finals. Just kept messing up in a few of them and having to face prime Hendry...

He kinda messed up in all of 'em :-)

Postby Johnny Bravo

Ding is the better player, but Jimmy is still greater. But Ding will probably surpass him.

Postby Sickpotter

Ding has more ranking title wins than White but I don't think we can throw away Jimmy's 6 finals as being of no value in the equation.

Jimmy is my choice.

Postby HustleKing

Johnny Bravo wrote:Ding is the better player, but Jimmy is still greater. But Ding will probably surpass him.

Agree with this, but sadly Ding will still have underachieved massively when he finishes his career :-(

Postby Vallomas

Ding has won more titles, but prime Jimmy had to play only a few rankers per season - and still won 10.

Postby HustleKing

Vallomas wrote:Ding has won more titles, but prime Jimmy had to play only a few rankers per season - and still won 10.

Does that mean we have to assume Jimmy would have won at least 15, if not 20, if he came on the scene a bit later? Nobody uses that assumption when comparing Hendry and O'Sullivan, so why use it on lesser players?

Postby Johnny Bravo

HustleKing wrote:
Vallomas wrote:Ding has won more titles, but prime Jimmy had to play only a few rankers per season - and still won 10.

Does that mean we have to assume Jimmy would have won at least 15, if not 20, if he came on the scene a bit later? Nobody uses that assumption when comparing Hendry and O'Sullivan, so why use it on lesser players?

U make a valid point, but your example isn't quite helping your case and I'll explain why. Since Hearn took over, the number of rankers has increased, but ROS barely goes to half of them, so he's playing in roughly the same amount of events as Hendry did.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

White won the World Matchplay twice when it had a best of 35 final. He also won the 1991 World Masters which had the first £200,000 first prize.

Postby Dan-cat

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:White won the World Matchplay twice when it had a best of 35 final. He also won the 1991 World Masters which had the first £200,000 first prize.

Which was gone by the weekend.

Postby Iranu

Honestly, who cares?

Postby HustleKing

Iranu wrote:Honestly, who cares?

You're right, anybody who hasn't won a World Title is a nobody :roll:

Postby Iranu

HustleKing wrote:
Iranu wrote:Honestly, who cares?

You're right, anybody who hasn't won a World Title is a nobody :roll:

Not what I meant.

They’re both great players and will go down in history as legends of the game, who cares who’s better?