Post a reply

Re: Judd Trump is snooker's greatest talent

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Ace wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Ace wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Welcome to the forum Ace.

Who is your favourite player?

Judd Trump, the one and only Ace is the pack!!!

Yours?

Jimmy Robertson - pride of the South
Mark Davis
Judd Trump
Mark Selby

Nice why Jimmy robertson if I may ask? If he from the south like you are?

Yeah - Jimmy and Mark play in the same club as me.

Decent fellas

Postby Cloud Strife

Ace wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Ace wrote:

Yours?

Mark Davis
Judd Trump
Mark Selby

Jimmy is a friend of the forum. He did an interview for us a few years ago.

Postby Pink Ball

Cloud Strife wrote:
Ace wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Ace wrote:

Yours?

Mark Davis
Judd Trump
Mark Selby

Jimmy is a friend of the forum. He did an interview for us a few years ago.

I loved that piece Wright Thompson wrote about him.

Postby Iranu

Ace wrote:

Hendry said Selby is good at winning ugly and doesn't say anything about raising standards that just tells how greats think of these players but his opinion isn't like that against Ronnie or Judd, why is that? No commentator mentions anything about Selby's peak it's usually Ronnie, Hendry, Higgins and the like but no one says 2017 raised standards to a new level even when it happened at the time. You're a rare fan who thinks his peak is awesome but most don't think so and they aren't wrong.

One match but that doesn't stop people in this thread from referencing one match like Ronnie 2004, hendry 1993 and Higgins 1998. But it's wrong for me to reference Judd's 2019? Again, all the pundits and players including Ronnie are on my side.

When Selby won his third world title plenty of pundits said he could dominate for the next decade. By the way, I like Selby but I wouldn’t call myself a fan.

People have quoted several matches for the other players, not just one.

Even if it WAS the best performance ever, you can’t claim from one match that snooker’s been taken to another level.

Postby Pink Ball

Iranu wrote:
Ace wrote:

Hendry said Selby is good at winning ugly and doesn't say anything about raising standards that just tells how greats think of these players but his opinion isn't like that against Ronnie or Judd, why is that? No commentator mentions anything about Selby's peak it's usually Ronnie, Hendry, Higgins and the like but no one says 2017 raised standards to a new level even when it happened at the time. You're a rare fan who thinks his peak is awesome but most don't think so and they aren't wrong.

One match but that doesn't stop people in this thread from referencing one match like Ronnie 2004, hendry 1993 and Higgins 1998. But it's wrong for me to reference Judd's 2019? Again, all the pundits and players including Ronnie are on my side.

When Selby won his third world title plenty of pundits said he could dominate for the next decade. By the way, I like Selby but I wouldn’t call myself a fan.

Even if it WAS the best performance ever, you can’t claim from one match that snooker’s been taken to another level.

Careful, Iranu. He might break your bottom.

Postby Iranu

Also, Pink was clear from the off that Judd’s was the best world final performance he’d seen but not the best performance he’d ever seen. Not sure why you didn’t get that.

Postby Pink Ball

Badsnookerplayer wrote:People who write Selby off as a grinder are very short sighted. On top form he is one of the greatest break builders who has held a cue.

He is a grinder, but there’s nothing wrong with that. Being a grinder doesn’t mean you aren’t great.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Pink Ball wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:People who write Selby off as a grinder are very short sighted. On top form he is one of the greatest break builders who has held a cue.

He is a grinder, but there’s nothing wrong with that. Being a grinder doesn’t mean you aren’t great.

All truly great players should be able to grind when necessary. I was referring to those who dismiss him as nothing more than a grinder

Postby Pink Ball

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

All truly great players should be able to grind when necessary. I was referring to those who dismiss him as nothing more than a grinder

Aye. Three world titles later and some people still think he’s rubbish.

Postby Iranu

Pink Ball wrote:

I think he’s much more than a grinder.

But to me a grinder is someone who relies on making things scrappy to win, rather than someone who just CAN make things scrappy to win.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:I think Cloud Strife makes a good point

Rather than listen to pundits like O'Sullivan, Davis and Hendry you should listen to him and Holden.

Finally a reasonable, non-passive aggressive post. Cheers BSP :hatoff:

Wildey, Iranu, Sickpotter, The Rocket and MDG, are also good to listen to, by the way.

And old Pinkey

+1

Postby Ace

Iranu wrote:
Ace wrote:

Yeah he could dominate but no one talked about the STANDARD of snooker which is what people are talking about with Judd and Judd's possible dominance is also being talked about too it's two things, standard of level of play and dominance. Selby doesn't take the snooker world by storm like the other 4 in terms of performance yeah he had a fantastic 2017 season but he didn't raise the standard of play on the level of Judd's 2019. Just this thread tells you what people reference in terms of peak and Ronnie, Hendry and Higgins are mentioned, no one mentions a Selby match because his peak is not close to theirs

Judd also faced a better Ronnie than 2017 season and beat him 10-4 and he beat Higgins by playing a very attacking game and outscoring him whereas Higgins had a big lead against Selby and let it go just like Ronnie in 2014 but Judd was in full control and the match was in his hands, he didn't drag Higgins down or Ronnie in 2014 through safety so they play their c or d games.

If a player makes 18 147s in a world final in just one match are they not raising the standard of snooker there even though it's just 1 match of course Judd didn't do that but no one else has produced 7 centirues and 15 over 50 breaks over a world class opponent like Higgins either.

Postby Ash147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Ash147 wrote:Holy rubbish, Ace is ripping Pink Ball’s bottom to pieces.

Confirmation that he is not ripping my bottom to pieces.

Postby sas6789

Ace wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Ace wrote:
Iranu wrote:Judd’s obviously the best player in the world right now, I don’t think that’s up for debate after his WC victory.

That doesn’t mean he’s taken the game to new heights though. Selby was the dominant player from 2014-2017, but he didn’t raise the standard of the game.

Pundits say stuff like this all the time. When MJW won last year many were saying that he was playing better than when he was dominant in the early 00s.

But let’s be honest, just the fact that we’re having this debate about a player under 30 is a great thing and hopefully a good sign for the game.

Selby is a grinder so he can't take the game to new heights and he doesn't create buzz. His peak is lesser than all 4 of them. Judd on the other hand plays snooker everyone likes and wows everyone, leaves a lasting impression because he's attacking and makes very big breaks.

But I don't think it's wrong to say he brought it to new levels. Again, look, Ronnie also did bring the game to new levels but they play differently even though they have the same attacking mindset

Selby is so much more than just a grinder, he’s one of the most prolific breakbuilders in the game. You’ve shown yourself up for your lack of snooker knowledge there. His peak is also pretty awesome. There are few players in the history of snooker whose peaks are on Selby’s level.

How has Judd brought snooker to a new level? You haven’t actually explained this. He performed extremely well in the world final. But other players have performed better in other matches.

One performance is not a game changer.

Selby doesn't produce the same level of peakiness as the 4 like Ronnie, Hendry, Higgins and Judd they are powerhouses while with Selby you always get chances it's just that his safety is too good and drags players to his level but he doesn't blow off opponents and play a high level of snooker. Judd doesn't drag anyone down as he matched them power for power then outpowers them. That's why no one talks about Selby raising standards...because he never otherwise the media would have said 2017 was the greatest standard ever and that was peak selby but did you hear it in the media? no

I have explained this throughout my posts in this thread if you read them!

The jist is 7 centuries and 15 breaks over 50, no one has played to that high of a standard in a wc final and he did it against John Higgins who is a 4x WC champion and the greatest match player of all time as well as being Judd's nemesis so Judd had a lot of pressure to deal with. Safety didn't work on Judd because he was potting all the balls from all over the place and producing frame winning breaks and didn't give Higgins the time of the table, as Higgins said Trump overpowered the table.

Selby's played better than he did in the 2017 final loads of times

Postby masterdoctorgenius

Ace wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Have you not listened to commentary? They’re probably the two most referenced performances of Sullivan’s career. And yes, his 17-4 over Hendry was better than what Trump did at the weekend.

I have. People usually reference 2013 Ronnie but I don't see anyone mentioning 17-4, which was of course great by Ronnie but Hendry wasn't at his best and he didn't play on the same level as Higgins who scored 8 50+ breaks including 4 centuries, Judd matched it and overpowered it.

As Higgins said Judd can not just overpower the opponent but the table too which is HEAPS of praise, he wasn't missing anything apart from balls once he finished off the frames in one visit.

Remember the 10th frame of the match. Judd was all over the sea. Luckily he won that frame which settled him

Postby Ace

masterdoctorgenius wrote:
Ace wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Have you not listened to commentary? They’re probably the two most referenced performances of Sullivan’s career. And yes, his 17-4 over Hendry was better than what Trump did at the weekend.

I have. People usually reference 2013 Ronnie but I don't see anyone mentioning 17-4, which was of course great by Ronnie but Hendry wasn't at his best and he didn't play on the same level as Higgins who scored 8 50+ breaks including 4 centuries, Judd matched it and overpowered it.

As Higgins said Judd can not just overpower the opponent but the table too which is HEAPS of praise, he wasn't missing anything apart from balls once he finished off the frames in one visit.

Remember the 10th frame of the match. Judd was all over the sea. Luckily he won that frame which settled him

What's your point? He won the session 8-1.

Postby Ace

boris_the_butcher wrote:2 good crucible runs in 10 attempts and he's all of a sudden going to break all records? He should of lost in R1 and only one sublime session of snooker separated him from higgins in the final.

I say that because every decade there is always a standout player some don't live up to expectations but they are the standout player. 80s you had Davis. 90s you had Hendry. 00s you had Ronnie but he didn't live up to expectations for his standards and that should've been his decade. 10s it was split between Ronnie and Selby and generally a mix. 2020s looks to be Judd's rise and with the highest standard ever who are we to argue. He's only 29, at least another decade for him.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Ace wrote:Also Judd is young, lean, fit and healthy.

Judd can dominate. but he's more likely to go down the path of ROS than those of Davis and Hendry.
Remember that the standard is higher nowadays and that there are more good players for him to face.

As 4 his standard, it was incredibly high, but his peak form is still not quite up there with that of ROS, Hendry and Higgins in terms of positional play.

Postby D4P

Badsnookerplayer wrote:ACE- just asking but is your first name Jack by any chance?

I was thinking the same thing. Either that, or Ace is a Libertarian...

Postby Holden Chinaski

I think Ace has a problem with reading comprehension. This is a problem with lots of young people these days. English is not my first language, but I seem to understand Pink Ball's posts better than Ace, Ash, and BSP. No offense.

Postby Pink Ball

Holden Chinaski wrote:I think Ace has a problem with reading comprehension. This is a problem with lots of young people these days. English is not my first language, but I seem to understand Pink Ball's posts better than Ace, Ash, and BSP. No offense.

English isn’t my first language either, but I’m not brain damaged like more of these hens

Postby Ace

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Offence not offense.

Comprehension....rofl

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh BSP thanks for having my back just like Judd in 2011 I am in raw form but I will hit my peak and be the best :spot on: