Post a reply

Re: Judd Trump is snooker's greatest talent

Postby Cloud Strife

Ash147 wrote:Holden appears to have thrown one of his usual tantrums. If that’s the last we’ve seen of him, then good riddance.

I’m glad Wildey has reopened this thread though, because there have been some good discussions.

Holden's gone. You've won the war. So why not show a bit of humility to a fallen adversary?

Postby Wildey

Ash147 wrote:Holden appears to have thrown one of his usual tantrums. If that’s the last we’ve seen of him, then good riddance.

I’m glad Wildey has reopened this thread though, because there have been some good discussions.

Everyone has their moments some worst than others Holden is passionate about things and like me goes over the top sometimes but hes welcomed here and is an asset to the forum and on that note ive never banned him or had any cause to ban him you o the other hand <ok>

Re: Will Judd win 5 WC?

Postby Iranu

Wildey wrote:
Iranu wrote:Poor decision to lock the thread imo. Seemed to be debated in a good spirit.

OK im going to unlock it but at a prize if i feel anyone goes OTT then the thread stays open and that person removed.

the thread has gone round in circles nobody going to agree and tempers beginning to flare up been here before many times over 12 years ive been on line.

<ok> Appreciate it Wild

Postby Ash147

Wildey wrote:

Everyone has their moments some worst than others Holden is passionate about things and like me goes over the top sometimes but hes welcomed here and is an asset to the forum and on that note ive never banned him or had any cause to ban him you o the other hand <ok>

Say what you want about me, but at least I’m not some chicken rubbish who runs away at the sight of adversity.

Postby Cloud Strife

Ash147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Say what you want about me, but at least I’m not some chicken rubbish who runs away at the sight of adversity.

Postby Ash147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Again unfair that Ash.

We all behave stupidly on forums at times and I doubt very much HC has run away at all. He and I will probably never see eye to eye but I do not share your view.

Sometimes a couple of days away is good.

Holden very often makes false statements about me, but when someone does it to him, he runs off crying like a little lovely lady. It’s quite ironic really.

Postby D4P

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I think Judd will end his career on 2 or 3 WC.

That might be on the low end, when you consider who his competition is likely to be over the next 15 years.

Kyren Wilson? Mark Allen? Jack Lisowski? Luca Brecel? James Cahill? The Young Chinese Players Who Still Haven't Won A Tournament?

Judd should dominate...

Postby Badsnookerplayer

D4P wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:I think Judd will end his career on 2 or 3 WC.

That might be on the low end, when you consider who his competition is likely to be over the next 15 years.

Kyren Wilson? Mark Allen? Jack Lisowski? Luca Brecel? James Cahill? The Young Chinese Players Who Still Haven't Won A Tournament?

Judd should dominate...

With his talent I would agree that 2 or 3 is not enough and he should dominate

But these days that is very hard. He can do it but only if he practises harder than ever

Postby Ash147

I’d like to see Judd win at least 3 World Titles by the time he retires. I think if he got that, and 8-9 TC wins in total, then it would be a great career.

If Selby can do that, there’s no reason Judd can’t.

Postby D4P

It's not out of the question that Judd could catch up to some of Ronnie's records. Judd has the advantage of having decided to "play smart" at a much younger age than Ronnie did, and Judd should also face weaker competition in his 30s and 40s than Ronnie did...

Postby Vallomas

I still rate Selby as a greater player than Trump, not because he has won more world titles, but because he is a better all round player at his peak.

Of course Judd is more naturally gifted and can win more titles than Mark in the future. It would be fantastic for snooker if he does, as we need great entertainers. But it's still to early to call it.

Postby Ash147

Vallomas wrote:I still rate Selby as a greater player than Trump, not because he has won more world titles, but because he is a better all round player at his peak.

Of course Judd is more naturally gifted and can win more titles than Mark in the future. It would be fantastic for snooker if he does, as we need great entertainers. But it's still to early to call it.

Did you see peak Judd during the World Final last week? That performance would have beaten peak Selby.

Postby D4P

I think it was this threat in which someone talked about how the 80s was Davis's decade, the 90s was Hendry's, and the 00s was Ronnie's (but he didn't dominate it the way he should have). Here's an interesting way to look at it:

80s
Davis: 14 Triple Crown titles
Higgins/Thorburn: 3

90s
Hendry: 16
Ronnie/Higgins: 3

00s
Ronnie: 8
Williams: 4
Higgins: 3

10s (so far)
Ronnie: 8
Selby: 7

From this perspective, Ronnie is #1 in 2 different decades, which is something no one else in the game has achieved...

Postby Cloud Strife

D4P wrote:It's not out of the question that Judd could catch up to some of Ronnie's records. Judd has the advantage of having decided to "play smart" at a much younger age than Ronnie did, and Judd should also face weaker competition in his 30s and 40s than Ronnie did...

Just out of interest, which of Ronnie's records do you think is attainable for Judd? I don't see many TBH. Maybe the centuries record, but even that will be very difficult despite the multitude of events nowadays.

Postby D4P

Cloud Strife wrote:Just out of interest, which of Ronnie's records do you think is attainable for Judd? I don't see many TBH. Maybe the centuries record, but even that will be very difficult despite the multitude of events nowadays.

I suppose centuries and WCs are the most likely, though Ronnie's total of WCs doesn't count as a "record". A lot will depend on whether anyone else steps up their game to challenge Judd or not. If they don't, he could conceivably catch Ronnie on UKs or Masters.

Postby Vallomas

I will be surprised if Trump finishes with more than 3 world titles on his tally. Unless if he wins it again next year and dominate the game, it's really unlikely to reach the 5 titles Ronnie has - and doesn't stand as a record, of course.

I am more than sure, though, that he will surpass Ronnie's century record. The 36 ranking titles could be in question, too (but I am sure that ROS will win more in the seasons to come).

Postby Badsnookerplayer

I believe it all comes down to Judd's desire to dominate.

ATM I think he beats Ronnie 4 times out of 5. However, will he maintain his hunger and desire?

I think he will relax a bit and next season will not be as spectacular but would love to see him maintain his focus and clean up.

Postby Wildey

Ash147 wrote:
Vallomas wrote:I still rate Selby as a greater player than Trump, not because he has won more world titles, but because he is a better all round player at his peak.

Did you see peak Judd during the World Final last week? That performance would have beaten peak Selby.

A Peak Selby wouldnt have given him as much chances as Higgins did some of Higgins safety shots was poor Selby at his peak dont give you wide open pots to go for Selby safety is more about getting the object ball safe where John tries to get a good cueball problem with that is when your playing someone like judd the marjin for error is small.

Postby TheRocket

I have a very good laugh at some of the comments here. You'd think that Trump was head and shoulders above anyone else.

He's won 3 Triple Crown titles in his career, 2 of them this season after having the best year of his career.
It'll be extremely tough for him to repeat this seasons feat, let alone top it. I'm tempted to say and the odds are its rather the exception than the rule. Like Selbys 16/17 season was.

Its not to be underestimated either that Trump now is in the same position Ronnie always has been. He'll have a lot of pressure on his shoulders and people expect him not only to win but to play brillantly and destroy the opposition as well. It remains to be seen how Trump will cope with that.

Postby sas6789

It's the fact that Selby isn't naturally gifted which makes his achievements all the more impressive.

Postby Pink Ball

Ash147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Was this the first time in Crucible history that that the championship was won by left-handed players two years running?

Yes.

Only realised that today. Of course, we had to wait until 2000 for a southpaw to win it.

Trump is the second male left-handed world champion.

Postby TheRocket

Pink Ball wrote:
Ash147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Was this the first time in Crucible history that that the championship was won by left-handed players two years running?

Yes.

Only realised that today. Of course, we had to wait until 2000 for a southpaw to win it.

Some dude from Australia disagrees.

Postby Ash147

TheRocket wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Ash147 wrote:

Yes.

Some dude from Australia disagrees.

That Assange needs to wind his neck in.