Ronnie O’Sullivan
18%
Mark Allen
No votes

Total votes : 17

Re: Player of the season 2018/19

Postby Ace

Judd easily and the World Snooker voted for it too

but I would like to see one day Judd will be the people's champion but I fear Ronnie will have to retire for that. Ronnie could be 60 and still get more cheers and fans.

Though being #2 isn't bad if Ronnie is #1. Hardly a disservice

Postby D4P

Setting the question aside, it's worth noting that Ronnie played in 7 finals this season, which (correct me if I'm wrong) is the most since Hendry played in 8 finals back in 90/91.

The official "Player of the Year" this season played in 4 finals.

Postby Ash147

D4P wrote:Setting the question aside, it's worth noting that Ronnie played in 7 finals this season, which (correct me if I'm wrong) is the most since Hendry played in 8 finals back in 90/91.

Judd won all of the finals he played in, Ronnie did not.

Postby Ash147

D4P wrote:
Ash147 wrote:Judd won all of the finals he played in, Ronnie did not.

So did Matthew Selt.

Stupid comparison. Selt has won the Indian Open. Judd has won the Northern Ireland Open, the Masters, the World Grand Prix and the World Championship.

Postby Ace

D4P wrote:Setting the question aside, it's worth noting that Ronnie played in 7 finals this season, which (correct me if I'm wrong) is the most since Hendry played in 8 finals back in 90/91.

Ronnie only won 1 more tournament than Judd 5-4 but Judd won the biggest tournament Snooker has as well as the biggest non ranking tournament plus he's got a better head to head than Ronnie this season, ask Ronnie yourself he'd easily swap his 5 for Judd's 4.

Postby D4P

Records and Winning Percentages from 2018-19

O'Sullivan: 38-6 record, 86.4% winning percentage
Robertson: 66-21, 75.9%
Trump: 65-23, 73.9%
Allen: 41-15, 73.2%

Postby Badsnookerplayer

D4P wrote:Records and Winning Percentages from 2018-19

Good stats.

Do you think ROS was player of the season

Postby D4P

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Do you think ROS was player of the season

Depends on how it's defined.

If it's defined as "The player whose season reflects the best and most consistent performance", then my vote goes to Ronnie.

If it's defined as "The player whose season other players would be most likely to choose if they could have it for themselves", then it goes to Judd.

I think that most people (implicitly) use the second definition, which is fine with me except that I think that perhaps a more appropriate title should be given to the award to better align with how World Snooker actually chooses to define it...

Postby Badsnookerplayer

D4P wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Do you think ROS was player of the season

Depends on how it's defined.

If it's defined as "The player whose season reflects the best and most consistent performance", then my vote goes to Ronnie.

If it's defined as "The player whose season other players would be most likely to choose if they could have it for themselves", then it goes to Judd.

I think that most people (implicitly) use the second definition, which is fine with me except that I think that perhaps a more appropriate title should be given to the award to better align with how World Snooker actually chooses to define it...

:hatoff:

Postby Ace

D4P wrote:Records and Winning Percentages from 2018-19

Don't you care about the World Championship?

Postby Ash147

Ronnie has done exceptionally well, considering how few tournaments he has entered. However, I’d be amazed if you could find a single player that would chose Ronnie’s season over Judd’s.
Last edited by Ash147 on 10 May 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Ace

Ash147 wrote:Ronnie has done exceptionally well, considering how few tournaments he has entered. Find me a player that would chose Ronnie’s season over Judd’s, then we’ll talk.

I know Ronnie would swap his season with Judd's in a heart beat.

Postby Ash147

Ace wrote:
Ash147 wrote:Ronnie has done exceptionally well, considering how few tournaments he has entered. Find me a player that would chose Ronnie’s season over Judd’s, then we’ll talk.

I know Ronnie would swap his season with Judd's in a heart beat.

Every single professional would. It’s a no brainier.

Postby D4P

Ace wrote:Don't you care about the World Championship?

Yes and No. Yes, in the sense that it's a Triple Crown event and a Ranking Event, but No in the sense that I'm in the (very small) minority of snooker fans who doesn't consider the WC to be umpteen times more important than any other event, or umpteen times more revealing of a player's true ability and "greatness".

In my view, the WC is such a long event that it goes "too far" in the direction of rewarding natural personality traits (e.g. mental endurance, ability to concentrate and focus for long periods of time, ability to deal with boredom, etc.) that are not snooker-related and that are not evenly-distributed across players. Some players are born with more of those traits than others, and some of those traits are not very easy to learn if you weren't born with them.

While it is true that the other 2 Triple Crown events have shorter formats that might be better-suited to players that lack those traits, the fact that the WC is given SO MUCH MORE WEIGHT than the other 2 events means that the players whose personalities are better-suited to the shorter formats will always be at a (what I think is an unfair) disadvantage in conversations about Player of the Year, GOAT, etc., because of the disadvantage they face at the WC.

To use a golf analogy, the Masters is the only one of the 4 majors that is played on the same course each year. This gives a big advantage to players whose games match up well with the course setup, while disadvantaging players for whom the course is a bad fit. The other 3 majors play on a variety of courses, which gives a wider range of players an opportunity to win. The Masters gives some players an advantage over others, which is unfair but not quite as big of a problem in golf as it is in snooker because the 4 majors in golf are (more or less) equally-weighted and respected, at least more so than in snooker...

Postby Vallomas

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Ash147 wrote:
Ace wrote:I would rank

1. Judd
2. Ronnie
3. Robertson
4. Allen

Agreed.

I also agree.

And Bingham at 5th place.

Postby Ash147

Vallomas wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Ash147 wrote:
Ace wrote:I would rank

1. Judd
2. Ronnie
3. Robertson
4. Allen

Agreed.

I also agree.

And Bingham at 5th place.

I’d say Kyren Wilson, because he’s won an extra tin pot event.

Bingham - English Open & Gibraltar Open
Wilson - Six Reds, PHC, German Masters

Postby Lou147

When was the last time a player won two majors in the same season both for the first time?

Postby Ash147

Lou147 wrote:When was the last time a player won two majors in the same season both for the first time?

Mark Williams, 1999-2000. He won the UK and the World Championship.

Postby Andre147

Easily it's:

1st- Trump
2nd- Ronnie
3rd- Robertson
4th- Allen

Trump may not have reached 7 Finals like Ronnie did, but he did win 2 of the biggest events, Masters and Worlds, plus 2 more rankers. Up until the Worlds, Ronnie was without question player of the season, but Trump winning it made him instead, same would have gone with Robbo had he won it.

Postby HappyCamper

i think it's about fifty/fifty between trump and o'sullivan so voted o'sullivan as everyone else was pluming for trump.

Postby Ck147

Andre147 wrote:Easily it's:

1st- Trump
2nd- Ronnie
3rd- Robertson
4th- Allen

Trump may not have reached 7 Finals like Ronnie did, but he did win 2 of the biggest events, Masters and Worlds, plus 2 more rankers. Up until the Worlds, Ronnie was without question player of the season, but Trump winning it made him instead, same would have gone with Robbo had he won it.

+1

Sorry Robbo I voted for Trump