Post a reply

What did you think of John Higgins’ punishment?

It was too harsh
5%
It was just right
32%
It was too lenient
64%

Total votes : 22

What did you think of John Higgins’ punishment?

Postby Ash147

In 2010, the News of the World tabloid newspaper carried out a sting operation in a hotel room in Ukraine, which claimed to show Higgins and his then-manager arranging to lose specific frames in future matches for money. Although an investigation cleared Higgins of match-fixing allegations, it found that he had brought the sport into disrepute by failing to report, and giving the impression of agreeing with, an invitation to breach the sport's betting rules. The WPBSA banned Higgins from professional competition for six months and fined him £75,000. He returned to the tour midway through the 2010/2011 season.

Re: What did you think of John Higgins’ punishment?

Postby Andre147

buck sake its been over 8 years since this... let it go.

I'm tempted to put this in the junkyard, all it takes is one silly insult at Higgins, and a ban will follow.

Postby Ash147

Andre147 wrote:buck sake its been over 8 years since this... let it go.

I'm tempted to put this in the junkyard, all it takes is one silly insult at Higgins, and a ban will follow.

I know it's been 8 years, but I've never seen a poll made on this issue. It's also still relevant, as he's just reached another World final, and some people may feel he shouldn't even be playing.

I'd like to keep this civil, but there's always the possibility that someone will insult Higgins in any thread.

Postby The_Abbott

I remember hating the fact he won the WC that year he came back. He didn't actually parakeet (or proven anyway) but then is what Higgins did worse than Bingham betting on matches?

Its a tough one and only easy when someone has been caught cheating like those 2 Chinese lads and David John.

Postby SnookerFan

My opinion, and that's all it is because I wasn't in the room witnessing what happened, is that he was somewhat set up.

He was laughing and joking around, and having a few drinks. They palled up to him a bit, and made out like; "Hey, we're all lads here, aren't we?" Then, when he was jovial enough to say something stupid to show off, got him to say that he could easily throw matches for money just to show off to his new pals. Then, of course they had it on camera and had a story to run the following day.

Was Higgins incredibly stupid? Yes. And his blatant lie about thinking it was the mafia didn't help him. That was clearly untrue, and that was the first time I started to doubt his honesty in the matter.

Still not totally convinced he ever really intended to throw a match, more that he was drunkenly showing off.

But, yes. He deserved some form of punishment.

Postby SnookerFan

What I will say is, they were a lot harsher on Quinten Hann, who basically did the same thing. (Admitted that he'd lose for money.)

But Hann didn't help himself. As soon as he was questioned, he told World Snooker to buck off and left.

Postby Raphael98

I must say that everything that has been said is what I thought, and that the people who think that Higgins should be banned for life are silly, as nobody else (Silvino, Hann, Lee, Bingham, Yupeng, David John, etc) got banned for life. So why Higgins would be banned for life while others weren't? In my mind, nobody should be banned for life just because of a mistake.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

At the time it was said that there was more footage then the sensationalised footage the NOTW showed. Also there were investigations into Higgins dealings which found nothing. I doubt if Higgins was a major culprit but he still was lucky as he should never have been in that situation.

Postby roy142857

It was just such an obvious thing to report to World Snooker, the fact that he didn't is what riled me at the time and still does.

I still can't bear to watch him play (which I admit is an over-the-top reaction, but I still feel it) so have missed last two World Championship finals.

Postby SnookerFan

roy142857 wrote:It was just such an obvious thing to report to World Snooker, the fact that he didn't is what riled me at the time and still does.

I still can't bear to watch him play (which I admit is an over-the-top reaction, but I still feel it) so have missed last two World Championship finals.

Not the last three.

Postby roy142857

SnookerFan wrote:
roy142857 wrote:It was just such an obvious thing to report to World Snooker, the fact that he didn't is what riled me at the time and still does.

Not the last three.

No. It was 2017 that convinced me it was pointless, got too irritated with praise for Higgins on the one hand, and 'sound off' didn't help much either ... I do realise there's a lack of logic here, but kind of 'what you feel is what you feel' ...

Postby Pink Ball

roy142857 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Not the last three.

No. It was 2017 that convinced me it was pointless, got too irritated with praise for Higgins on the one hand, and 'sound off' didn't help much either ... I do realise there's a lack of logic here, but kind of 'what you feel is what you feel' ...

Not a lack of logic. The guy didn't get the punishment he deserved, I believe. That's only an opinion, and people are entitle to disagree.

What I will not put up with is being forced to like him, being forced to treat him as a hero. And, by God, the BBC does its best to force us. Reminds me a bit of their fawning over Mo Farah. You get a bit of it here, too, but at least you have people to bring balance to the question.

They can buck themselves, and I ain't suffering it.

Postby vodkadiet1

eraserhead wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:His crimes were so bad that I think he should be made to live with Nigel Farage for 5 years.

Ash would like that though.

His idea of Heaven!

Postby HappyCamper

vodkadiet1 wrote:His crimes were so bad that I think he should be made to live with Nigel Farage for 5 years.

imagine higgins and farage in digs together. having a few ales and playing a bit of snooker. having some lively political debate about scottish independence.

Postby Wildey

Well Well Well ive just stumbled across this thread now im going to read it possibly a few bans coming up we will see and BTW as Author of this thread if anyone else gets a ban Ash will get one by default and it will be longer.

Now to be fair i will not look at this thread for 24 hours you either edit, delete if you think something is not right or tomorrow night ill be issuing bans. <ok>