Post a reply

Your 2018/2019 Highs and Lows

Postby Iranu

A place to discuss your favourite and least favourite moments/ aspects of last season’s snooker, and anything else that you think is noteworthy.

My highs:

The Tour Championship was a great addition and if it sticks around I’m sure it’ll be considered a major.

Judd winning the World title particularly on the back of a great season.

Ronnie breaking the records for most Triple Crowns. Manufactured though it is, the aftermath with him celebrating in the crowd was great. Also, his 1,000th century. Never seen anything like that atmosphere outside of the rubbish Out.

Lows:

Mark Williams and Ding Junhui both having poor seasons. I know MJW won a ranker but that just got my hopes up even more!

Asian players largely disappointing again.

Favourite match: probably Ronnie vs Judd in the Tour Championship.

Honourable mention: Joe O’Connor for his run to the Welsh Open semi final

Re: Your 2018/2019 Highs and Lows

Postby SnookerEd25

Think Jimmy Robertson deserves an honourable mention too, for bagging his first ranker.

Lows for me : Matthew Selt taking a ranking title; such a bell-end, and David Gilbert's SF defeat in the worlds. On paper, a breakthrough season for him after years on the periphery, but 2 ranking title final losses - when he could & maybe should have won both of them - & the SF means he ends the season as the nearly man. I just hope he can build on it next season & bag that maiden title.

Postby SnookerEd25

Indian Open, i think, off the top of my head.

Jeeves - bring me Cuetracker...

Postby Badsnookerplayer

I have to agree that Jimmy winning a ranker was a high for me as well as Judd winning both the Masters and WC. 1000th Century was a great moment.

Lows for me - Selby falling below standard. Would have liked to see him go far in a couple of tourneys.

Favourite match. Masters and WC finals for obvious reasons. Mark Davis vs ROS as I support Mark.

Honourable mention: Gary Wilson for his progress towards the top echelon.

Postby Wildey

My highs:
It was just a great season with younger players starting to make a move on different levels Xiao Xintong after a poor start to his career he fell off tour entered Q School last year made it and in his first of a 2 year tour card has made it in to the top 64, Jack Lisowski starting to get consistency however he needs something else to get to the next level, Kyren Wilson adding to his silverwhere collection with 3 titles obviously the highlight for him winning in Germany and of course Judd Trump starting to win consistently with the Masters and 3 ranking titles that included the Big One.

Lows:
Mark Selby playing ok and putting in a good performance only for it to fall apart in the next round and Ding Junhui what a let down he was.

Favourite match:
Ronnie v Selby in NI Open and Kyren Wilson v Barry Hawkins in the World

Honourable mention:
Gary Wilson and Ken Doherty (managed to climbe back in to the top 64 and leave the senior circuit after getting these ITC in 2017)

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:My highs:
It was just a great season with younger players starting to make a move on different levels Xiao Xintong after a poor start to his career he fell off tour entered Q School last year made it and in his first of a 2 year tour card has made it in to the top 64, Jack Lisowski starting to get consistency however he needs something else to get to the next level, Kyren Wilson adding to his silverwhere collection with 3 titles obviously the highlight for him winning in Germany and of course Judd Trump starting to win consistently with the Masters and 3 ranking titles that included the Big One.

Lows:
Mark Selby playing ok and putting in a good performance only for it to fall apart in the next round and Ding Junhui what a let down he was.

Favourite match:

Honourable mention:
Gary Wilson and Ken Doherty (managed to climbe back in to the top 64 and leave the senior circuit after getting these ITC in 2017)

Selby was never going to win The Crucible this season, to be fair.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:My highlights were the times I was watching snooker.

The low points were the times that I wasn't.

Why have you never played, SF? You might be a natural! :chin:

Postby Iranu

This was an interesting season for the number of players who went through great form.

At various points you could say Allen, Robbo, Judd or Ronnie was playing legitimately great stuff and the man to beat. When’s the last time that happened?

Postby HustleKing

High: The resurgence of Robbo

Lows: Robbo going out of the WC losing to someone other than Trump, Brecel losing to Wilson

Favourite match: Allen vs Zhou, WC 1st round

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:My highlights were the times I was watching snooker.

The low points were the times that I wasn't.

Why have you never played, SF? You might be a natural! :chin:

Because I can't even play pool above the standard of somebody with a broken arm. I'd stand no chance at snooker.

Postby Lemnas

Highs:
- The new Tour Championship
- Ronnie's 1000th century
- The final of the World Championship
- The rest of the World Championship
- Thepchaiya's 139 in the Shootout

Lows:
- That the 147th 147 was in an event without TV coverage, live audience or frankly any importance
- Another match-fixing scandal
- Continued lack of success of international/chinese players
- Some players who are constantly whining and trashing the game in public

Postby Ck147

HustleKing wrote:High: The resurgence of Robbo

Lows: Robbo going out of the WC losing to someone other than Trump, Brecel losing to Wilson

Ditto

Postby Alex0paul

Highs
David Gilbert’s season. Predicted him to be a ranking winner many years ago so great to see him in the top 16.
Dott’s Comeback against Bingham
Going to the Welsh Open and World Championship
Murphy’s season

Lows
Dott’s awful season
Uk Championship
Ding not being a contender for tournaments anymore

Postby TheRocket

Highs:

-Ronnie O'Sullivan winning the Shanghai Masters
-Ronnie O'Sullivan winning the Champions of Champions
-Ronnie O'Sullivan winning the UK Championship
-Ronnie O'Sullivan winning the Players Championship
-Ronnie O'Sullivan winning the Tour Championship
-Ronnie O'Sullivans 147 at the English Open
-Ronnie O'Sullivans 1000th Century break at the Players Championship
-Ronnie O'Sullivans dramatic win over Selby in Northern Ireland.
-Ronnie O'Sullivans dramatic win over Trump at the Tour Championship

- Lows

-Ronnie O'Sullivan losing in the final of the Masters
-Ronnie O'Sullivan losing in the first round of the World Championship.

Postby D4P

Highs:

Ronnie's unprecedented return to WN1

Lows:

The foul that Ronnie committed with the rest at the English Open, that the referee didn't call (and apparently didn't notice).

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:My highs:

Lows:

Favourite match:

Honourable mention:

Selby was never going to win The Crucible this season, to be fair.

Gary Wilson was never going to reach the semi finals either these things happen very unexpected at times.

Postby Wildey

TheRocket wrote:Highs:

- Lows

Right unless you lot can be sensible and take these kinds of threads serious then do not post on it GET IT

Postby Andre147

Highs:

Ronnie's return to WN1, 19 record TC wins, 1000 century breaks and his matches v Selby at NI Open and Trump at Tour Champs
Robbo's resurgence to good form
Joe O'Connor breakthrough season
Thepchayia's win at the Shoot-Out
The World Champs Final
And Judd Trump becoming World Champion and fulfilling his potencial

Lows:
Ronnie's 1st round loss at the WC, being desinterested most of it and playing like down the club with his shot selection
Ding's poor form continuing
Match-fixing scandal again

Postby Ck147

- Lows

Everyone else writes a sentence, I only wrote a word, you write a thesis, you should change your username to DrRocket. Good post, made me laugh (more than HIGNFY right now), I mean it in a good way - thanks :)

Postby D4P

Pink Ball wrote:
D4P wrote:Highs:

Ronnie's unprecedented return to WN1

An unprecedented return? My mind is going a mile a minute.

Indeed. The gap in years between Ronnie's first season started at WN1 and his most recent season started at WN1 is the largest ever, at 17. No one had ever returned to WN1 so long after first getting there...

Postby TheRocket

Ck147 wrote:

- Lows

Everyone else writes a sentence, I only wrote a word, you write a thesis, you should change your username to DrRocket. Good post, made me laugh (more than HIGNFY right now), I mean it in a good way - thanks :)

No problem mate. It was supposed to be a ironic post so you understand the funny side behind it.

Postby mick745

I saw my first ever 147 live at the Welsh Open by Noppon Saengkham. A lige's ambition achieved there and definitely one off the bucket list.

A low has been the continued lack of a breakthrough from any youngster, especially china. Trump has maybe now made a breakthrough but he's nearly 30 and been a pro for 13 years. Maybe nowadays it takes thst long to learn and reach the required standard. First player to win in his 20s since 2010 and then only just.