Steve Davis
No votes
Willie Thorne
No votes

Total votes : 30

Re: Who’s your favourite commentator?

Postby Iranu

eraserhead wrote:
Iranu wrote:I too missed JV in his absence, more than I expected to.

The thing i like about JV is he compliments other commentators. Don't think I could stand Ebdon and Doherty together but JV brings a nice balance to whoever he's working with. He's also got a good voice for the dramatic moments and making the duller moments feel more dramatic, will never forget Ronnie's 775th ton because he enhances those moments in a way no other snooker commentator does.

Yeah I agree. He's also by far the best at those little "summing up sentences" at the end of a frame or session before it goes back to the studio.

Postby eraserhead

Iranu wrote:Yeah I agree. He's also by far the best at those little "summing up sentences" at the end of a frame or session before it goes back to the studio.

Thinking about it actually. How many snooker commentators raise their voice? McManus has started to fill that role with some snooker phrases you don't hear often, but most are quite subdued in their commentary.

Postby Ash147

eraserhead wrote:
Iranu wrote:Yeah I agree. He's also by far the best at those little "summing up sentences" at the end of a frame or session before it goes back to the studio.

Thinking about it actually. How many snooker commentators raise their voice? McManus has started to fill that role with some snooker phrases you don't hear often, but most are quite subdued in their commentary.

I’ve heard Peter Ebdon do it before, but he is a bit mental.

“How about that for a shot? HOW ABOUT THAT for a shot? HOW ABOUT THAT FOR A SHOT!?”

Postby eraserhead

Ash147 wrote:I’ve heard Peter Ebdon do it before, but he is a bit mental.

“How about that for a shot? HOW ABOUT THAT for a shot? HOW ABOUT THAT FOR A SHOT!?”

Good shout. Ebdon's a bit naff, but can bring up some more technical knowledge. Works much better when he's just won a match at the shoot out.

VEGAN POWER!

Postby Dan-cat

eraserhead wrote:
Iranu wrote:I too missed JV in his absence, more than I expected to.

The thing i like about JV is he compliments other commentators. Don't think I could stand Ebdon and Doherty together but JV brings a nice balance to whoever he's working with. He's also got a good voice for the dramatic moments and making the duller moments feel more dramatic, will never forget Ronnie's 775th ton because he enhances those moments in a way no other snooker commentator does.

+1

Postby D4P

No one has mentioned Ronnie as a commentator. I think he's quite good, at least in work he has done for Eurosport. I especially like his in-match commentary. He has a lot of good insights to share about the game...

Postby Holden Chinaski

D4P wrote:No one has mentioned Ronnie as a commentator. I think he's quite good, at least in work he has done for Eurosport. I especially like his in-match commentary. He has a lot of good insights to share about the game...

I agree. :spot on:

Postby vodkadiet

My love affair with Yates started way back before the internet when I used to read his articles in The Times. You don't feel love like that often and you should grasp it when you can. Get what you can when you can...

Postby Dan-cat

Holden Chinaski wrote:
D4P wrote:No one has mentioned Ronnie as a commentator. I think he's quite good, at least in work he has done for Eurosport. I especially like his in-match commentary. He has a lot of good insights to share about the game...

I agree. :spot on:

Good point. So far he talks a bit too much, but then he's only let loose on the odd frame so he probably feels like he has to do some work. When he gets the full sessions I'm sure he'll find a better rhythm.

Postby SnookerEd25

Ash147 wrote:Who’s the muppet that voted for Yates? :chin:

Yates did. He posts on here under the soubriquet 'the Saviour'