Post a reply

Re: World Championship 2020 will finish on a working day.

Postby sundaygirl

SnookerFan wrote:These two aren't happy either.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9258662/m ... e-wedding/

This makes no sense, most of their family are teachers or in the entertainment industry?!
As a teacher he had loads of other dates to choose, why pay more, I’m in the entertainment industry, NEVER get a bank holiday off unless I book it as leave, the entertainment industry is busiest when the general population is off work.

Postby SnookerFan

sundaygirl wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:These two aren't happy either.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9258662/m ... e-wedding/

This makes no sense, most of their family are teachers or in the entertainment industry?!
As a teacher he had loads of other dates to choose, why pay more, I’m in the entertainment industry, NEVER get a bank holiday off unless I book it as leave, the entertainment industry is busiest when the general population is off work.

But it's in The Sun....

Postby mick745

SnookerFan wrote:
mick745 wrote:Hang on. Those 980 are the people that are there in person. What about the millions who watch on telly? I dont get in from work until after 7pm usually so i'll miss the entire third session and some of the fourth also.

Out of interest, how many millions do watch in the UK? Genuine question.

Bear in mind, the May Bank holiday doesn't affect the European market. Just UK.

The viewing figures are around 4m on the BBC for finals day. There are also additional viewers on Eurosport and other media platforms.

Postby SnookerFan

mick745 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
mick745 wrote:Hang on. Those 980 are the people that are there in person. What about the millions who watch on telly? I dont get in from work until after 7pm usually so i'll miss the entire third session and some of the fourth also.

Out of interest, how many millions do watch in the UK? Genuine question.

Bear in mind, the May Bank holiday doesn't affect the European market. Just UK.

The viewing figures are around 4m on the BBC for finals day. There are also additional viewers on Eurosport and other media platforms.

<ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Changing the date of next year's early May bank holiday will cost one calendar maker about £200,000, it has said.

Last week, the government announced the bank holiday, set for Monday 4 May, would be switched to Friday 8 May, to mark the 75th anniversary of VE Day.

Allan & Bertram said as a result about 400,000 of its calendars which had already been printed would have to have the May 2020 pages replaced.

The government said it had considered the practical implications of its move.

But the manager of one calendar maker said it had "probably been the single most stressful week that I have ever faced in business".

"We're totally in agreement with changing the date. Just not changing it with 11 months notice, when you've had 74 years to prepare for this event," said Andrew Bennett, managing director of Hertfordshire-based Allan & Bertram.

Bank holiday changed to mark VE Day
It is only the second time the early May bank holiday has been moved - the first was in 1995 to mark the 50th anniversary of VE Day.

On that occasion people were given more notice, said Mr Bennett. "They announced that in December 1993. That was absolutely fine.

"There was no reason why this decision couldn't have been made 18 months ago."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48631198

Postby SnookerFan

Next year’s Betfred World Championship will retain the previously announced dates of 18 April to 4 May, 2020, despite the fact that the last day will not be a bank holiday.

Snooker’s biggest event has traditionally finished on the Monday bank holiday. However last month the government announced that in 2020 the bank holiday would move from Monday 4 May to Friday 8 May in order to celebrate the 75th anniversary of VE Day.

Following discussions with host broadcaster the BBC, World Snooker will keep the dates of the tournament at the Crucible Theatre in Sheffield the same, and the television coverage will not be affected.

And, following discussion with the Crucible, we have decided to offer any fans who wish to return their tickets for Monday 4 May a full refund.

World Snooker Chairman Barry Hearn said: “It’s a very disappointing decision by the UK government to change the date of the bank holiday at such short notice. To commemorate VE Day is an admirable principal, but why couldn’t this decision have been made years ago to give all affected parties enough time to plan?

“Tickets for the World Championship final are like gold dust, and no doubt we have many fans who have been lucky enough to get hold of them who now may have their plans scuppered because they have work commitments on the Monday. That’s why we will be offering them a full refund if they cannot be in Sheffield on that day. With more notice we could have planned for this change long before the tickets went on sale. It is a decision which will affect many businesses and individuals across the events industry.”

Fans who wish to request a refund should contact the Crucible box office on 0844 65 65 147.

Or if the booking was made with See Tickets call 0871 620 7052 (Calls cost 13ppm plus the network access charge)

http://www.worldsnooker.com/world-champ ... k-holiday/

Postby Iranu

The final of the WC should be a bank holiday in its own right, regardless of when it’s held <ok>

More seriously, are they overstating the effect this will have on supporters with tickets to the final? Is it really that common to have work commitments a year in advance that can’t be rearranged? How many people will have work commitments on what would be a bank holiday?

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:The final of the WC should be a bank holiday in its own right, regardless of when it’s held <ok>

More seriously, are they overstating the effect this will have on supporters with tickets to the final? Is it really that common to have work commitments a year in advance that can’t be rearranged? How many people will have work commitments on what would be a bank holiday?

I'll have to book an extra day of Annual Leave to watch it. :grrr:

Postby Wildey

Many people around the world cant enjoy the World Final. In Mainland Europe May Day falls on 1st of May no matter what day it is Sunday could be May Day but you wont have a holiday in place of it like Britain does.

Also the Chinese when the final session of the final starts it will be 2am and in Melbourne Australia it would be 4am.

So guys in this country we have it good

Postby Pink Ball

Iranu wrote:The final of the WC should be a bank holiday in its own right, regardless of when it’s held <ok>

They probably are, but it’s a good response. Like you said, most people will get themselves sorted, but World Snooker can still score PR points, which they have. There are plenty shitty sporting organisations who’d miss this open goal.

Postby SnookerFan

I booked the whole of The Crucible off, but I've just realised that I haven't had the 4th May put on the official computer system. The person entering it thought I'd made a mistake, as they believed the 4th of May was still a Bank Holiday so didn't give me that day off. I've had to ring up and point it out. But won't know fore sure whether I'll have that day off until Tuesday.

Let's hope that doesn't screw things up.

#NervousTimes

Postby Ash147

SnookerFan wrote:I booked the whole of The Crucible off, but I've just realised that I haven't had the 4th May put on the official computer system. The person entering it thought I'd made a mistake, as they believed the 4th of May was still a Bank Holiday so didn't give me that day off. I've had to ring up and point it out. But won't know fore sure whether I'll have that day off until Tuesday.

Let's hope that doesn't screw things up.

#NervousTimes

Phone in sick. <ok>

Postby donthittheblue

Don't see why they couldn't have just given us a 3 day week.

To those on about 'commitments' - it's not those at the crucible its the several million of us who watch at home but can't justify taking the day off work for it.....

I need the day for later in the year, sadly. So i'll possibly miss the WC winning moment for the first time in 10 years....

Suprised World Snooke haven't took the chance to move the start date to Friday or jettison one of the rest days?
Last edited by donthittheblue on 19 Jan 2020, edited 2 times in total.