8%
No votes
15%
No votes
No votes

Total votes : 13

Ronnie's best Masters?

Postby Ash147

Which of Ronnie's 7 Masters wins do you consider to be his best?

Re: Ronnie's best Masters?

Postby D4P

SnookerFan wrote:Now you write them out like that, I'm surprised he didn't win it between 2009 and 2014.

It was only a 4-year gap, and he skipped the Masters in 2013. So It was only 3 Masters that he didn't win, and if you read his book "Running", you'll see that he was going through a very distracting break-up with his former girlfriend during much of that time period. He was spending a lot of time in court fighting custody battles and such...

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:Now you write them out like that, I'm surprised he didn't win it between 2009 and 2014.

For me the 10 year gap between his first and second is surprising considering it’s basically considered his tournament now. He even won the Worlds twice in that time.

I may be voting with a bit of nostalgia, but I was mesmorised by the way he played in the 2007 final. He looked so at ease and he played so well. That was probably the match that cemented him as my favourite player.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:

For me the 10 year gap between his first and second is surprising considering it’s basically considered his tournament now. He even won the Worlds twice in that time.

Yes, this too is striking.

Postby SnookerFan

D4P wrote:

It was only a 4-year gap, and he skipped the Masters in 2013. So It was only 3 Masters that he didn't win, and if you read his book "Running", you'll see that he was going through a very distracting break-up with his former girlfriend during much of that time period. He was spending a lot of time in court fighting custody battles and such...

Oh yeah. I forgot he took a year off for one of them....

Postby Johnny Bravo

I voted 2005, when he hammered Higgins. Although, if I think about it better, ROS was a superior player in 2014, when he hammered Selbo. Better prepared mentally.
Can I change my vote ?! :huh:

Postby TheRocket

2005, closely followed by 2014. On both occasions he was untouchable from start to finish but in 2005 his peak level was slightly higher.

The 2007 final was maybe the highest standard he's produced at the Masters in terms of a single match but he didnt look in good shape the rounds before. The final felt like a moment of inspiration. You have to think about it. At that stage he hadn't won a ranking event for two years. And didnt win one until December 2007 when he finally won the UK.

Postby Andre147

I voted 2005 as well, and 2014 a close 2nd.

He did play an amazing match in the 2007 Final, but in his previous matches he looked rusty. Doherty was virtually a ball away from beating him, and even Maguire in the Semis had more than enough chances.

But in 2005 his overall level was great, and he played one of his greatest Final performances.

Postby SteveJJ

1998 Irish Masters would be high up there or at least Ronnie was quite high before he was disqualified!