Has Luca Brecel underachieved?

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes : 11

Has Luca Brecel underachieved?

Postby Ash147

I know Brecel is still only 24 years old, but I do think he has underachieved so far. I remember when he made his breakthrough in qualifying for the 2012 WC, and he looked such a great talent for a 17 year old. Then when he made it to the Quarter-finals of the UK Championship the following season, losing a very close match to Murphy.

It's now 7 years later, and Brecel has achieved very little in the game. He's only made 2 finals, winning just 1 of those. He's done nothing in any of the majors, winning just one match at the Masters, only reaching the Quarter-finals of the UK twice, and he still hasn't won a single match at the Worlds.

So do you think Brecel has underachieved so far? If so, do you think he's able to turn his career around?

Re: Has Luca Brecel underachieved?

Postby HustleKing

Yes Brecel has definitely underachieved so far. A lot of overseas players seem to struggle psychologically in the TC's so I'm not sure if he will ever do really well in one of those events. He'll definitely win close to, if not more than 10 rankers though, as he can relax more when playing those events.

Postby Sickpotter

The talent is there but it's taking a little longer than expected for the results.

Very similar to Trump IMO who also took longer than expected to break through.

The high expectations I think wind up slowing their progress as it's another added level of pressure others don't have to cope with.

Postby rekoons

Expected him to have achieved more by now, yes.

All the talent, but he lost a few years I think by not living like a true pro, easy to do at that age offcourse.

I believe his best years are still to come.

Postby Ash147

Sickpotter wrote:The talent is there but it's taking a little longer than expected for the results.

Very similar to Trump IMO who also took longer than expected to break through.

The high expectations I think wind up slowing their progress as it's another added level of pressure others don't have to cope with.

A 24 year old Judd had still achieved a lot more than Brecel has now. He'd won 4 ranking and 4 minor ranking titles, as well as being in the final of the Worlds. Judd may have only just hit his peak, but his level of performance when he first had his break through in 2011 was better than anything Brecel has produced so far. Judd has always been a contender to win titles, even prior to his peak, but I don't get that feeling with Brecel.

Postby rekoons

I think what Dominic Dale said in his interview about youngsters from China vs. youngsters from GB also applies to Brecel, and actually probabaly all players outside GB.

There's a huge step up from being untoucheable in your country to settling in the top of the pro tour. they have to learn to grind harder, because opposition is much tougher.

I still think he can become a top player winning more tournaments. if the talent is truly there all that may be necessary could be a few % increase in discipline, shot choice selection, safety,... to make the puzzle fit

it seems to have worked for Trump last year...

Postby Dan-cat

A couple of years ago he talked about changing his name to Luca Brecelery, and I feel it's a shame he didn't do this as it may have taken pressure off him. There is a precedent to this theory - Jimmy White famously changed his name to Jimmy Brown (he was being sponsored by HP Sauce) and it signalled an immediate upturn in his form.

Postby TheRocket

You can call him underachiever but at the same time he has weaknesses.

From a technical point of view his bridge hand is too far away from the cue ball. Or too much cue hanging out between bridge hand and cueball if you wanna call it like that.

Then I'm not sure whether he has that "extra gear" which you need as a topplayer to overpower your opponents and make yourself stand out from them.

I havent seen any performance from Luca Brecel so far which made me think. 'Wow he can reach the heights of the very best'. Maybe he'll move up a gear in the future but so far he hasn't.

Postby Wildey

TheRocket wrote:You can call him underachiever but at the same time he has weaknesses.

From a technical point of view his bridge hand is too far away from the cue ball. Or too much cue hanging out between bridge hand and cueball if you wanna call it like that.

Then I'm not sure whether he has that "extra gear" which you need as a topplayer to overpower your opponents and make yourself stand out from them.

I havent seen any performance from Luca Brecel so far which made me think. 'Wow he can reach the heights of the very best'. Maybe he'll move up a gear in the future but so far he hasn't.

Selby and Trump has Technical problems Selby swayes and Trump hits accross balls.

Postby TheRocket

Good point Wild but when it comes to Trump his poor cue action has actually cost him a lot of matches. Despite all the success he's had with it. Particularly after the last season.

When he's on and has a good day like in the World final it doesnt matter much but on an average day he can miss any ball due to his poor technique. Also in the utmost pressure situations like a decider his cue action is a big weak point. There is a reason his winning rate in deciders is even below 50%. Which is quite low for a topplayer.

Postby SnookerFan

I don't really believe in underachieving in snooker. If you have the talent but not the temprement you won't win as much.

You need both. Talent alone isn't enough.

There's enough tournaments these days, it's up to you to maximise your chances to win.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:I don't really believe in underachieving in snooker. If you have the talent but not the temprement you won't win as much.

You need both. Talent alone isn't enough.

There's enough tournaments these days, it's up to you to maximise your chances to win.

That is actually a very good point.

People are hung up on how much ability you got but bottom line and all that matters is your ability to utilise whatever talent you have and win Matches and Tournaments.

Postby Ash147

I think most people here would agree that it's not all about talent. Players like Brecel and Lisowski show that you can't get by with talent alone. Both players have all the natural ability in the world, but they seem to be lacking in other departments. Even Ronnie can't just rely on his ability to win. The guy practices just as hard as anyone, and is clearly always trying to improve his game.

Postby Iranu

Wildey wrote:

People are hung up on how much ability you got but bottom line and all that matters is your ability to utilise whatever talent you have and win Matches and Tournaments.

Which is a talent in itself although it’s rarely seen as one.

Postby Ash147

Iranu wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Which is a talent in itself although it’s rarely seen as one.

Selby is probably the best I've seen at doing this.

Postby Dan-cat

Ash147 wrote:I think most people here would agree that it's not all about talent. Players like Brecel and Lisowski show that you can't get by with talent alone. Both players have all the natural ability in the world, but they seem to be lacking in other departments. Even Ronnie can't just rely on his ability to win. The guy practices just as hard as anyone, and is clearly always trying to improve his game.

Good posy

Oops I may have been on the sauce

Postby Andy Sparky

rekoons wrote:I think what Dominic Dale said in his interview about youngsters from China vs. youngsters from GB also applies to Brecel, and actually probabaly all players outside GB.

There's a huge step up from being untoucheable in your country to settling in the top of the pro tour. they have to learn to grind harder, because opposition is much tougher.

I still think he can become a top player winning more tournaments. if the talent is truly there all that may be necessary could be a few % increase in discipline, shot choice selection, safety,... to make the puzzle fit

it seems to have worked for Trump last year...

Absolutely right that there is a huge step. The difficulty of bearing the flag for the whole of your country is something that Ronnie O'Sullivan would completely collapse under. Yet we somehow wait in expectation that a genius will emerge from a strange country! :party:

Postby Badsnookerplayer

One thing is certain - the Belgian Bullet has time on his side.

Brecel first made his presence felt as a precocious potter when videos emerged of him on social media pulling off outrageous clearances and improbable centuries.

When the inevitable happened and he gained his status as a professional player, he often struggled to cope with the strategic nouse of battle hardened pros who had earned their stripes on the thriving amateur circuit.

Whether Brecel has the determination and stomach to refine his game remains to be seen. His laser-like focus around the table is often easily punctured when adversity rears it's head.

I believe he is a future World Champion, but the fearless Flandrian must take note of Judd Trump's newfound willingness to apply himself and adapt his game to the situation in hand.

Er is geen korte weg naar succes

Postby Ash147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:One thing is certain - the Belgian Bullet has time on his side.

Brecel first made his presence felt as a precocious potter when videos emerged of him on social media pulling off outrageous clearances and improbable centuries.

When the inevitable happened and he gained his status as a professional player, he often struggled to cope with the strategic nouse of battle hardened pros who had earned their stripes on the thriving amateur circuit.

Whether Brecel has the determination and stomach to refine his game remains to be seen. His laser-like focus around the table is often easily punctured when adversity rears it's head.

I believe he is a future World Champion, but the fearless Flandrian must take note of Judd Trump's newfound willingness to apply himself and adapt his game to the situation in hand.

:goodpost:

Postby rekoons

Badsnookerplayer wrote:One thing is certain - the Belgian Bullet has time on his side.

I’m impressed with your flemish Baddie !

Postby Badsnookerplayer

rekoons wrote:

I’m impressed with your flemish Baddie !

I am a big fan of Flanders.

Cycling & cycling history, superb food and world's best beer- and my favourite artists and architecture. I would like to move to Belgium (or maybe Italy) one day.