Post a reply

How many events will Ronnie play this season?

Roughly the same number as he played last season
86%
Just the Shanghai Masters and 3-4 other "low-key events"
7%
Just the Shanghai Masters
No votes
None
7%

Total votes : 14

How many events will Ronnie play this season?

Postby D4P

With Judd poised to dominate the tour, the only remaining wildcard in the equation is how much Ronnie will play this season. He said earlier this year that he was only planning to play 3-4 "low-key events", but (as we know) he doesn't always follow through on what he says.

So: how many events do you think he will play this season?

Re: How many events will Ronnie play this season?

Postby D4P

TheRocket wrote:Assuming he'll qualify for events like the Players and Tour Championship.

This is a big "if". The UK Championship has turned into a huge event for Ronnie now, since it's really the only one that he plays that has enough money at stake to help him qualify for the Coral Series. If he were to skip the UK (or not make it very far in the event), he probably wouldn't qualify for the Coral events.

Postby eraserhead

However many he wants. He's skipped the UK and Coc before and they suit him so who knows. I prefer to see him in the invitationals and the ITV events against the top players rather than the home nations.

Postby D4P

Me too, thought I think the Home Nations are more in line with what he means by "low-key" events. Plus, I think he likes doing the punditry with EuroSport at the Home Nations, so who knows...
Last edited by D4P on 11 Aug 2019, edited 2 times in total.

Postby eraserhead

D4P wrote:Me too, thought I think the Home Nations are more in line with what he means by "low-key" events. Plus, I think he likes doing the punditry with EuroSport at the Home Nations, so who knows...

They work for him as it's not just snooker he's getting out of them. He's had some great performances in them and they're at UK times so I don't mind them. All about his ranking though, if he can keep his top 16 I don't see him changing his schedule.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:Same as last year. Assuming he'll qualify for events like the Players and Tour Championship.

Despite everything he says, he'll roughly play same as last season. 7 or 8 events is enough for him. Just wish he wins the WC, even if he's rubbish all season. We have seen the past 2 seasons that coming to the WC in red hot form means nothing.

Its a mental thing there and how much he's willing to put the effort in.

Postby D4P

Andre147 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Same as last year. Assuming he'll qualify for events like the Players and Tour Championship.

Just wish he wins the WC, even if he's rubbish all season. We have seen the past 2 seasons that coming to the WC in red hot form means nothing.

I don't understand why he bothers showing up at the WC, if he's not gonna try to win it. I'd rather he either play all of his events except for the WC, or just repeat his 2012-2013 by only playing the WC. There's no sense in playing the WC if he's just going to make a mockery of the game, unless that's his intention...

Postby Iranu

D4P wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Just wish he wins the WC, even if he's rubbish all season. We have seen the past 2 seasons that coming to the WC in red hot form means nothing.

I don't understand why he bothers showing up at the WC, if he's not gonna try to win it. I'd rather he either play all of his events except for the WC, or just repeat his 2012-2013 by only playing the WC. There's no sense in playing the WC if he's just going to make a mockery of the game, unless that's his intention...

This year was the only time since 2014 that he wasn’t trying. There’s no reason so far to think it was anything but an admittedly bad blip.

Postby Andre147

I think 2017 and 2016 he was actually in good form, but his opponents played out of their skin to beat him, especially 2016 which was sickening.

Postby TheRocket

Andre147 wrote:I think 2017 and 2016 he was actually in good form, but his opponents played out of their skin to beat him, especially 2016 which was sickening.

Indeed. 2016 and 2017 was decent. Especially 2016. More than decent actually. Damn you Hawkins.

In 2015 his game wasnt that bad but mentally he was in a poor place. Antics in every single match.

2018 and 2019 was shocking though. Poor level from start to finish. Some of the minisessions were that bad that he couldnt even pot 4 or 5 balls in succession.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

TheRocket wrote:This man is not finished yet with Snooker. He knows at his best he's superior to everyone else in the game. Including Trump.

Not convinced but wouldn't argue the other way.

Either at the top of the game have played the best snooker I have seen.

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Ace is gone, but his legacy still lives on.

Oh yeah - sorry SF.

Ronnie is God.
We must not compare other players to him or suggest that they may play as well at times.

Please forgive me.

I was more talking about Dan-Cat's comment.

Postby TheRocket

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
TheRocket wrote:This man is not finished yet with Snooker. He knows at his best he's superior to everyone else in the game. Including Trump.

Not convinced but wouldn't argue the other way.

Either at the top of the game have played the best snooker I have seen.

I did say in the other thread that I'd put Trump into the Top4 now in terms of peak level. Behind the likes of Hendry,O'Sullivan and Higgins.

I dont think anyone bar those three All-Time greats could have played to the standard Trump played in the World final. But at the same time Trump now has to do it more consistently and needs to win more titles playing like that to back that up that performance. To show everyone it wasnt a fluke.

The masters and world final was a good start.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

SnookerFan wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Ace is gone, but his legacy still lives on.

Oh yeah - sorry SF.

Ronnie is God.
We must not compare other players to him or suggest that they may play as well at times.

Please forgive me.

I was more talking about Dan-Cat's comment.

Only messing me old mucker

Postby D4P

Andre147 wrote:Ronnie entered World Open? Is this a joke?

Hard to believe, huh? Very unexpected. Maybe WorldSnooker cut a deal with him that they would make his first match a hold-over if he agreed to play...

Postby Iranu

D4P wrote:Surprising that Ronnie has entered 2 events in China. The Shanghai Masters looks like it should be a very strong event.

Appearance fees

Postby D4P

Iranu wrote:
D4P wrote:Surprising that Ronnie has entered 2 events in China. The Shanghai Masters looks like it should be a very strong event.

Appearance fees

How do those work in snooker? Does the sponsor contact players (or their managers) directly and say "We'll give you X amount of money if you play in our event"? Does WorldSnooker have any involvement, or is it completely "on the side"...?

Postby Andre147

D4P wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Appearance fees

How do those work in snooker? Does the sponsor contact players (or their managers) directly and say "We'll give you X amount of money if you play in our event"? Does WorldSnooker have any involvement, or is it completely "on the side"...?

As far as I'm aware it's completly on the sponsors side. If they want a big household name like Ronnie in their event they get in contact with his manager and then the player decides if he wants to compete or not. I know this is one of the reasons he loves playing in Shanghai, and this year for the World Open it probably was the same.