Post a reply

Re: Snooker Specific Words

Postby Andre147

I always find it very amusing the word "kiss". "Plant" too.

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:I always find it very amusing the word "kiss". "Plant" too.

I'll bet you do. :limp:

Postby Badsnookerplayer

One that came to me is 'elect to' as in 'Should he elect to play the pink...'. I don't think this is correct English and I have never heard it away from snooker commentary.

Postby Iranu

“Doesn’t matter about the [colour]” also annoys me because of bad English and I’ve never heard it elsewhere.

Postby Iranu

“There you see it” is another phrase I’ve only heard in snooker.

Postby Dan-cat

Badsnookerplayer wrote:One that came to me is 'elect to' as in 'Should he elect to play the pink...'. I don't think this is correct English and I have never heard it away from snooker commentary.

I baulk at this. Perfectly acceptable use of the word - it means to choose something.

to choose (something, such as a course of action) especially by preference i.e. I might elect to sell the business

Postby sundaygirl

The concept of being kept in your chair by your opponent is pretty much unique to snooker.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Dan-cat wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:One that came to me is 'elect to' as in 'Should he elect to play the pink...'. I don't think this is correct English and I have never heard it away from snooker commentary.

I baulk at this. Perfectly acceptable use of the word - it means to choose something.

to choose (something, such as a course of action) especially by preference i.e. I might elect to sell the business

Sorry to make you baulk DC :hatoff:

Postby Holden Chinaski

sundaygirl wrote:The concept of being kept in your chair by your opponent is pretty much unique to snooker.

Indeed.

Another strange thing is the concept of false leads. <laugh>

Postby Ck147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:There are some words and phrases that are rarely used other than in snooker commentary like 'hampered'.

Any more?

Hampered is widely used outside snooker, do you get outside much BSP?

Postby Ck147

Ck147 wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:There are some words and phrases that are rarely used other than in snooker commentary like 'hampered'.

Any more?

Hampered is widely used outside snooker, do you get outside much BSP?

I take back the last part of my previous comment, I was in "being a sausage" mood last night and shouldn't have said that. My ability to write a nice comment was hampered by my mood. No offence intended BSP.

Postby Dan-cat

Iranu wrote:How about:

Baulk
Respot
Cue

I baulk at your first suggestion.
Last night I cue'd up a film to watch on Netflix.

I'll give you Respot. But it did use to be in common usage as a military term - repositioning of vehicles.

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:
Iranu wrote:How about:

Baulk
Respot
Cue

I baulk at your first suggestion.
Last night I cue'd up a film to watch on Netflix.

I'll give you Respot. But it did use to be in common usage as a military term - repositioning of vehicles.

Actually you “queued” up a film to watch on Netflix ;-) (you were probably taking the snake hiss there but still)

I didn’t realise ‘balk’ could also be spelt ‘baulk’, I’ll retract that one.

That’s interesting about the military, I can’t find any reference to it. I wonder which came first!