Post a reply

Re: Shanghai Masters Last 16 !!!

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:Indeed. Its hard to explain. Its obvious at this stage of their respective careers Ronnie is the far superior player. In fact he's been the superior player since 2012. And yet Higgins does more damage at the Crucible in recent time.

Its just a mental thing more than anything else. If you have a mental block at the Crucible you will always fail.

Of course its a mental block.

Ronnie's overall game is still in pretty good shape, he wouldnt have won 10 events in the past 2 seasons otherwise.

But Higgins is determined to put the hard work at Sheffield and see where that leads him, which has led to 3 consecutive world finals. Ronnie on the other hand puts the hard work for most of the other events but fails to do so at Sheffield.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

I feel I need to defend Ronnie a bit here.

I think he has tried his hardest at the WC. For example, against Cahill he did fight quite hard and I think he got it back to 8-8 and was clearing up. Cahill looked beat but Ronnie choked hugely on a blue( I think it was blue).

I do think he tries his hardest but just falls short mentally of what is needed to take the biggest prize.However, past performance does not guarantee future performance, and I feel he may do much better this year.

Postby Ck147

I think Jimmy vs Joe derailed the original question. I think most people would rather be WC than 3 time finalist, btf introducing Jimmy into the equation made me think twice. Probably should keep it generic though as Jimmy is a special case.

Postby Ck147

SnookerFan wrote:I can't sleep.

Do you think if you put your device down and stopped posting you might get to sleep?

Postby Wildey

Ck147 wrote:I think Jimmy vs Joe derailed the original question. I think most people would rather be WC than 3 time finalist, btf introducing Jimmy into the equation made me think twice. Probably should keep it generic though as Jimmy is a special case.

Yea but John Higgins is a special case hes a 8 times finalist 4 wins and 4 runner up only Hendry has played in More World Finals.

Postby Ck147

Wildey wrote:
Ck147 wrote:I think Jimmy vs Joe derailed the original question. I think most people would rather be WC than 3 time finalist, btf introducing Jimmy into the equation made me think twice. Probably should keep it generic though as Jimmy is a special case.

Yea but John Higgins is a special case hes a 8 times finalist 4 wins and 4 runner up only Hendry has played in More World Finals.

I feel special now that you have answered one of my posts as only joined at beginning of the year, feels longer - in a good way - but...not trying to be insubordinate like Ash, have you read and understood the thread? Higgins is never going to be a special case, he's won WC multiples times, he's secured his place in snooker legend. We're talking about would you rather be a high ranking serial loser or a one time winner of the WC.

What would you rather be: 3 time losing WC finalist, or single WC winner and not much else?

Postby Ck147

HappyCamper wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I can't sleep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8JEm4d6Wu4

Only just clicked on your link, one of my favourites, class tune, about to go to bed so will see if it works, or should I watch an episode of "In the Night Garden" that usually works. Working from home rest of the week so I can stay up late watching bolx on TV and posting crap on forums...life is good!

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Ck147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:

I feel special now that you have answered one of my posts as only joined at beginning of the year, feels longer - in a good way - but...not trying to be insubordinate like Ash, have you read and understood the thread? Higgins is never going to be a special case, he's won WC multiples times, he's secured his place in snooker legend. We're talking about would you rather be a high ranking serial loser or a one time winner of the WC.

What would you rather be: 3 time losing WC finalist, or single WC winner and not much else?

Ban

Postby carayip

What about Ding’s career or Joe Johnson’s?

Postby Johnny Bravo

carayip wrote:

So far, Joe Johnson's. Ding can obviously play to a much higher level, but he doesn't have his name engraved on that trophy.

Postby Wildey

Johnny Bravo wrote:
carayip wrote:

So far, Joe Johnson's. Ding can obviously play to a much higher level, but he doesn't have his name engraved on that trophy.

Never.

Ding career any day

Postby Johnny Bravo

Wildey wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
carayip wrote:

Never.

Ding career any day

Hasn't Vodka taught you that world titles are the only thing that matters ? :chuckle: <laugh> :evilgrin: <cool>

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Johnson will look back on his career with great satisfaction feeling he achieved all he could have wished for.

jimmy and Ding will always look back with some regret and feeling they did not achieve all they were capable of (assuming Ding does not win the WC)

Postby Ck147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Johnson will look back on his career with great satisfaction feeling he achieved all he could have wished for.

jimmy and Ding will always look back with some regret and feeling they did not achieve all they were capable of (assuming Ding does not win the WC)

Exactly, well put. Why do you think Jimmy carries on? He's even said in interviews he still wants to try and win it. I bet he would give up his 6 finals for a single win in a heartbeat.

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Johnson will look back on his career with great satisfaction feeling he achieved all he could have wished for.

:goodpost:

Postby Iranu

carayip wrote:

Johnson’s. (So far)

Almost every conversation about Ding involves the fact that he’s not a World Champion. Almost every conversation about Joe Johnson involves the fact that he is a World Champion.

Postby Ck147

Dan-cat wrote:Ding all day long anyone who says otherwise is a Numpty :-D

You calling me a numpty?

Postby Ck147

Dan-cat wrote:Yes, but in a very light hearted way.

That's ok then :)

Postby Andre147

Iranu wrote:
carayip wrote:

Johnson’s. (So far)

Almost every conversation about Ding involves the fact that he’s not a World Champion. Almost every conversation about Joe Johnson involves the fact that he is a World Champion.

I would also have said Ding like Wild.

But looking at your opinions I guess you do have point... Johnson couldn't have achieved anything else, he's always mentioned as the 1986 World Champion.

Ding more often than not is not mentioned for the amount of tournaments he has won, but the fact he's yet to become World Champion.

Postby Ck147

Dan-cat wrote:Whose career: Cliff Wilson or Eddie Charlton?

Neither, this is getting silly now, if I could have anyone's career it would be Boba Fett's.