Post a reply

The Welsh Open to count towards the European Series

Postby SnookerFan

BETVICTOR EUROPEAN SERIES SET FOR SECOND SEASON

Judd Trump won the inaugural BetVictor European Series earlier this year, earning the £150,000 bonus.

The BetVictor European Series will return in the upcoming World Snooker Tour campaign.

The series operates with a unique ranking list over four events, with the player earning the most prize money pocketing a bumper bonus of £150,000. Last season, world number one Judd Trump secured the lucrative payout, after wins at the BetVictor German Masters and the BetVictor Gibraltar Open.

The four events this season are:

2021 BetVictor German Masters (Dates TBC)
2021 BetVictor Gibraltar Open (Dates TBC)
2021 BetVictor Shoot Out (Dates TBC)
2021 BetVictor Welsh Open (Dates TBC)

One change from last season’s series sees the BetVictor Welsh Open, which will also remain a Home Nations event, replace the European Masters.

The BetVictor Shoot Out was originally set to run from 29th October to November 1st. However, it has now been rescheduled to 2021. We will announce dates for all of the events in due course.

WST Chairman Barry Hearn said: “We are absolutely thrilled to announce the continuation of this brilliant series. BetVictor are a fantastic sponsor and we love working alongside them. The support they continue to show snooker in these uncertain times is superb.

“I was gripped by last season’s BetVictor European Series and the cream rose to the top, with world number one Judd Trump claiming the £150,000 bonus. We will continue to incentivise players to enter events and reward them with opportunities to boost their prize money. I eagerly anticipate watching this intriguing series play out again this season.”

https://wst.tv/betvictor-european-serie ... nd-season/

:chin:
Last edited by SnookerFan on 28 Aug 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Re: The Wlesh Open to count towards the European Series

Postby GeF

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:This is stupid.

Apparently it counts as part of the Home Nations series and the European series.

They might as well just go the full monty and have it sponsored by Coral.

No need to go to Sheffield this year, the Wales Open winner is also World champion.

Re: The Welsh Open to count towards the European Series

Postby The_Abbott

Alex0paul wrote:Looks like 2 Shootouts then

No they are moving it from the Oct slot to 2021 instead so there will only be one.

I guess there is more chance of fans shouting YELLOOOOW in 2021

Postby Wildey

The_Abbott wrote:

No they are moving it from the Oct slot to 2021 instead so there will only be one.

Couldn't restrictions just stay for this event

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:

Couldn't restrictions just stay for this event

The Shoot-Out really only exists for the crowds in attendance.

The fact that Sky Sports didn't renew it's contract, then after that ITV 4 didn't renew it's contract, then after the first year Eurosport didn't bother to put it on Quest again, pretty much indicates that it doesn't get great TV viewership. That's the real reason that Hearn made it a ranking event. To get the bigger names to enter in an attempt to get people to watch it on TV. You might say it's mostly drunk, rowdy, once-a-year fans. But they are drunk, rowdy, once-a-year fans bringing in valuable ticket money for World Snooker.

Hearn is stuck between a rock and a hard place with this. Whilst events like the English Open get bugger all people turn up to them, the Shoot-Out sells out crowds. So he can't get rid of it completely. Having it on TV, with no fans in attendance, is the worst of both worlds really. The low viewership is saved by the high ticket revenue, but he won't have that if nobody attends. He kind of has to move it to a time in the year where people might be allowed back in, or there's no real point to having it.

Postby SnookerFan

chengdufan wrote:Not sure if I'm in the minority, but I think the Shootout is great. It's one of the events I most look forward to. Surely I'm not the only one?

Quite a few people on here like it. I was never super-keen myself. Gave it a try, but couldn't get into it. I just find it takes away everything that is gripping about snooker. Each to their own though. I know some people like it.

Though my objection to it's ranking status may have been mentioned a couple of times. <laugh>