Post a reply

First televised century break?

Postby BennyOnTheLoose

I've seen it claimed that Mark Wildman made the fist televised snooker century, in late 1960. However, it looks like Joe Davis made one earlier. The Shields Daily News (Thursday 21 February 1957, page 11) says "In Joe Davis' recent television contest he made a break of 111." Does anyone know any more details about Davis' break?

Re: First televised century break?

Postby chengdufan

This doesn't help you, but is of interest.

There was a 30 minute show on the bbc covering Joe v Fred Davis on the last day of the News of the World tournament.
https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbctv/1957-03-02
This was on March 2 1957 though, so a couple of weeks later than your news article.
Seems his previous match in that tournament was in November 1956.

Postby badtemperedcyril

BennyOnTheLoose wrote:I've seen it claimed that Mark Wildman made the fist televised snooker century, in late 1960. However, it looks like Joe Davis made one earlier. The Shields Daily News (Thursday 21 February 1957, page 11) says "In Joe Davis' recent television contest he made a break of 111." Does anyone know any more details about Davis' break?

I think the Mark Wildman 107 break in November 1960 is widely regarded as being the first on television. It is interesting though. Even in a television competition, it is quite likely the camera's would only have rolled for a half hour or so broadcast, so there's no certainty Joe's break would've been captured.

In 1955 the camera's were present to film the last night of play at Leicester Square Hall before it's closure. Fred Davis made a century that evening but it wasn't while the camera were rolling.

I will check up in the December Billiard Player magazine to see if there's any mention.

Postby BennyOnTheLoose

The Sports Argus, 12 November 1960 (p.3) says "Markham Wildman notched a century break ... He was the first ever amateur to perform this feat on television, and the second player - Joe Davis being, of course, the first - to have ever done so."

Everton (in Snooker: The Records, p.61) says "Two amateurs, Mark Wildman (1962) and Jonathan Barron (1963) made century breaks on television before any professional did." Morrison (Hamlyn Encyclopedia of Snooker) also says it was Wildman who made the first televised century, and also has 1962, presumably copying a typo from Everton.

Postby SnookerEd25

Love your avatar, Benny; i've tried doing similar myself but I always get messages saying it's too big.

Story of my life I'm afraid :shrug:

Postby BennyOnTheLoose

Anyone reading this thread might be interested to know that Fred Davis made a 102 (or possibly 103, depending on the source) break in the 1960 World Open Snooker Championship, that was broadcast on Australian TV on 18 July 1960.

Postby badtemperedcyril

BennyOnTheLoose wrote:Anyone reading this thread might be interested to know that Fred Davis made a 102 (or possibly 103, depending on the source) break in the 1960 World Open Snooker Championship, that was broadcast on Australian TV on 18 July 1960.

I’ve seen that break for the first time recently too. In fact, it wasn’t in the World Open but it was while he was in Australia for that event. Nonetheless, it was captured on television in its entirety. Not sure when this footage was uncovered but it’s something of an unknown in general circles, I’m sure.

Postby SnookerEd25

badtemperedcyril wrote:
BennyOnTheLoose wrote:Anyone reading this thread might be interested to know that Fred Davis made a 102 (or possibly 103, depending on the source) break in the 1960 World Open Snooker Championship, that was broadcast on Australian TV on 18 July 1960.

I’ve seen that break for the first time recently too. In fact, it wasn’t in the World Open but it was while he was in Australia for that event. Nonetheless, it was captured on television in its entirety. Not sure when this footage was uncovered but it’s something of an unknown in general circles, I’m sure.

What’s the footage like Cyril?, quality-wise?

Postby badtemperedcyril

SnookerEd25 wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:

What’s the footage like Cyril?, quality-wise?

Obviously b&w and a little grainy but quite good really. There's only one camera and its positioned about level with the black on the right side of the table from the top end. No commentary. He got a really good cheer when the final black goes in for the 103. I don't know if it was a cold hall but all the crowd are wearing big winter coats!

Postby badtemperedcyril

BennyOnTheLoose wrote:Ah, now I understand what I thought was the 102/103 discrepancy! I've corrected the Wikipedia article. Thanks.

It says at the start,

EXHIBITION SNOOKER MATCH
At Festival Hall
7th July 1960

Fred Davis (World Open Champion) v. Warren Simpson

I did some researching into this event myself and in addition to the info in the Billiard Player, I found a few frame scores in Australian newspapers.