Post a reply

Re: Everyone say HELLO....and where you from!

Postby IlRagno

Hey guys, I'm from Yorkshire - can't remember how I found this site but I thought I would join and say hi! - I've been following snooker since I was a kid. Used to play a bit (nothing serious, just for fun) but not so much these days; unfortunately my local club looks like it's shut for good - sad fate for many clubs in these covid times. My fave players on the tour currently are Ding and Selby.

Postby Prop

IlRagno wrote:Hey guys, I'm from Yorkshire - can't remember how I found this site but I thought I would join and say hi! - I've been following snooker since I was a kid. Used to play a bit (nothing serious, just for fun) but not so much these days; unfortunately my local club looks like it's shut for good - sad fate for many clubs in these covid times. My fave players on the tour currently are Ding and Selby.

Welcome to the Island <ok>

Postby Dan-cat

IlRagno wrote:Hey guys, I'm from Yorkshire - can't remember how I found this site but I thought I would join and say hi! - I've been following snooker since I was a kid. Used to play a bit (nothing serious, just for fun) but not so much these days; unfortunately my local club looks like it's shut for good - sad fate for many clubs in these covid times. My fave players on the tour currently are Ding and Selby.

A fellow Yorkshireman! Welcome. joined at the right time just before the big one :D

Postby Running side

Prop wrote:

Welcome to the Island <ok>

Another Yorkie hear,whats with name? sorry to hear about local club closing,have fun.

Postby James Bentley

Hi, I'm Jim, from North Yorkshire. Been watching snooker for over 40 years now, played quite a bit in the late 1980s and early 1990s (although never to a great standard). Always wanted to play like Jimmy White, but when Jimmy did it the balls tended to go in the pockets with greater regularity. That said, I reckon I'd have had a decent chance if I'd played him last night!

For some reason, despite being very into snooker, I've never looked for a place to talk about it. Snooker Island was the first result in a search for "snooker forum". Lots of excellent stuff here, I've been enjoying reading through some of the existing threads, especially Chengdufan's awesome Rankings Revisit, which has brought back some great memories (and I'm sure will continue to do so).

I guess my favourite player will always be Steve Davis, because he was my favourite (along with Jimmy) growing up and these attachments tend to stay with you. My other main thing is music and it's great that Steve's always been into it, he's always had this other side to him. Some of his stuff is really out there. I like that.

As for currently active players, I like Judd Trump (sorry) and Jack Lisowski (double sorry). Also have a soft spot for Ken Doherty and Alan McManus, long may they continue to hang on!

Postby Juddernaut88

Hello James welcome :) what is your highest break? I'm sure you're a lot lot better than me.
*High fives* for liking both Judd Trump and Jack Lisowski :) but may I ask why you typed sorry next to them both? lol

Postby Prop

James Bentley wrote:Hi, I'm Jim, from North Yorkshire. Been watching snooker for over 40 years now, played quite a bit in the late 1980s and early 1990s (although never to a great standard). Always wanted to play like Jimmy White, but when Jimmy did it the balls tended to go in the pockets with greater regularity. That said, I reckon I'd have had a decent chance if I'd played him last night!

For some reason, despite being very into snooker, I've never looked for a place to talk about it. Snooker Island was the first result in a search for "snooker forum". Lots of excellent stuff here, I've been enjoying reading through some of the existing threads, especially Chengdufan's awesome Rankings Revisit, which has brought back some great memories (and I'm sure will continue to do so).

I guess my favourite player will always be Steve Davis, because he was my favourite (along with Jimmy) growing up and these attachments tend to stay with you. My other main thing is music and it's great that Steve's always been into it, he's always had this other side to him. Some of his stuff is really out there. I like that.

As for currently active players, I like Judd Trump (sorry) and Jack Lisowski (double sorry). Also have a soft spot for Ken Doherty and Alan McManus, long may they continue to hang on!

Welcome to the Island :hatoff:

Snooker and music... good interests to have. Plenty of us on here are seriously into music <ok>

Postby chengdufan

James Bentley wrote:Lots of excellent stuff here, I've been enjoying reading through some of the existing threads, especially Chengdufan's awesome Rankings Revisit, which has brought back some great memories (and I'm sure will continue to do so).

:-D :D :happy:

Welcome to the forum Jim!

Postby Dan-cat

James Bentley wrote:Hi, I'm Jim, from North Yorkshire. Been watching snooker for over 40 years now, played quite a bit in the late 1980s and early 1990s (although never to a great standard). Always wanted to play like Jimmy White, but when Jimmy did it the balls tended to go in the pockets with greater regularity. That said, I reckon I'd have had a decent chance if I'd played him last night!

Hello mate :-) I'm from Harrogate originally, well actually a tiny village called Ripley just north of it. Used to play for the Harrogate Leisure Centre team.

I'm also a huge Nugget fan and been to hear him DJ with Kavus (tiny club in London called the social) - they were brilliant. Mind bending. Also was at Glasto in 2019 when they were on and I was headed to their stage but got distracted en route <laugh>

Similar story to you... It never crossed my mind to chat about snooker online but stumbled accross the site in 2014 and been hooked ever since.

Postby Running side

Welcome Jim another Yorkie here,I've been up since 4AM licking road clean,newish member myself. All seem knowledgeable and friendly. What's happening locally regarding snooker clubs.

Postby SnookerEd25

Running side wrote:Welcome Jim another Yorkie here,I've been up since 4AM licking road clean,

Is that a Yorkie thing? :chin:

Welcome Jim :wave:

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Why would you apologise for liking Trump and Jackie Dreamboat!

Because they're both bellends?

How is Jack a bellend?

Postby James Bentley

Juddernaut88 wrote:Hello James welcome :) what is your highest break? I'm sure you're a lot lot better than me.
*High fives* for liking both Judd Trump and Jack Lisowski :) but may I ask why you typed sorry next to them both? lol

Highest break was 61, but that was almost 30 years ago now. However, I've not played in ages and think I'd struggle to make 20 these days.

I was only sort of joke-apologising for liking Judd and Jack because from reading the forums, I kind of got the impression that neither is very popular around here!

Thanks for the welcome anyway, everyone! I promise not to be a one-post wonder (already I'm up to two!) and will get to posting some stuff in the current threads soon.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Why would you apologise for liking Trump and Jackie Dreamboat!

Because they're both bellends?

How is Jack a bellend?

Oh, y'know.

He's mates with Judd. He buggered off to Dubai and caught Covid, so couldn't enter The Masters. Granted, he didn't through a tantrum about it like Judd did.

The Pound Shop Judd. Talented, but has less trophies. Isn't even as big a bellend as Judd.