Post a reply

Re: Snooker Island Grand Prix

Postby chengdufan

Here's what I sent to Iranu last week:

chengdufan wrote:v Rekoons

First frame I was nervous. Made four very good reds, perfect on the colour, fluffed it every time.

Frame 2, made red blue red pink on my first visit. Relaxed after that and played well up to the colours. Got four other red colour combinations.

Frame 3 the balls went awkward early. Both players made a lot of 1s. Then I made 4 excellent tough pots red blue red blue for the twelve.

And here's what Rekoons sent to me yesterday:

rekoons wrote:Hi chengdu, here's my 3 frame breaks: 12 14 and 13. An evening to quickly forget!

Postby chengdufan

Group B after matchday 1

1. Badsnookerplayer 6 pts (29 break)
2. Rekoons 6 pts (14 break)
3. Prop 0 pts (14 break)
4. Chengdufan (13 break)

Postby chengdufan

Congrats on your win Rekoons! Seems you weren't too happy with your game, but you have taken all 6 points anyway :-)

I can't help feeling a little frustrated that both my breaks were one point short!
I perhaps should have done better with the 13 break. I was straight on the next red and had to screw back about 3 feet to get position on a colour. I got into the cue ball well and brought it back just the right amount, but putting screw on like that always makes the pot quite a bit more difficult for me and I missed that one.

Postby chengdufan

I received a PM from Badsnookerplayer last week which I haven't opened yet, thinking it may contain his scores for his match with me.
I have just PM'ed Iranu with my matchday 2 scores and so will open the BSP PM now. If it is his scores, I'll post the result here shortly.

Postby chengdufan

Here's what I got from BSP:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Hi CDF,

My Round 2 performance was dire.

Scores were: 9 , 15 & 17.

Thank you

And here's what I sent Iranu:

chengdufan wrote:v Badsnookerplayer

1: 13
2: 15
3: 7

I played very well indeed today; some of my best stuff! It was very enjoyable.

Frame 1
Three 3-ball breaks including a couple of 9s, but couldn't get that second colour, despite a very inviting table and some good chances left to me by my opponent. Somewhat embarrasingly, the 13 came from pink-black at the end of the frame, and I was lucky to have that count. I was actually 30 points ahead when we got to the colours, but I got put into a fiendish snooker, fouled and then he potted yellow-blue.

Frame 2
I got a couple of 10+ breaks in this frame and the 15 was one of my best ever breaks. It ran:

red-brown-red-yellow-red-blue-red

It did start with a fluke unfortunately, but then the break went superbly with good position throughout and some faily difficult pots that I would normally miss. Pink and black were tied up together on the cushion near the middle pocket. With the last red in my break, which was a tightish angle pot into middle pocket, the white was going into pink and black. I was left with no shot on the blue after potting the red and went for a long pink (now about 5 inches off the cushion) into the yellow pocket to keep the break going. Didn't make it.

The yellow is worth a comment. I had a choice of that or a blue, both mid-range. The blue was straight though and there was no way for me to get onto the next red. Went for yellow planning a longer break, made it and got position. I was delighted that it worked out for me.

Frame 3
The standard from both me and my opponent was higher than usual in this frame. Dare I say it was some of our highest level play. An awkward table and better play from my opponent meant there weren't any opportunities for breaks though. I had 2 red-blue-red combinations, each for 7.

Postby chengdufan

Chengdufan 1-1 Badsnookerplayer
13-9
15-15
7-17

3 pts each, a share of the spoils!

Postby chengdufan

Thanks for the game BSP!

I did play better than I usually do today, but honestly thought I was unlikely to get any points off you. Lucky for me it seems I caught you on an off day ;-)

I am very happy indeed to move off 0 points and I even still have a chance of going through depending on how the remaining matches go.

Postby Iranu

I can confirm Chengdu’s scores are the same as he PM’d me

Postby chengdufan

Here's a summary of where we're at at the moment.

Matchday 1

A
Acesinc 1-2 Pink Ball
Running Side 2-1 Juddernaut88

B
Chengdufan 0-3 Rekoons
Badsnookerplayer 3-0 Prop

Matchday 2

A
Acesinc v Running Side (ACES' scores in, waiting for RS)
Pink Ball v Juddernaut88 (Pink's Scores in, waiting for Judders)

B
Rekoons v Prop (Waiting for both players)

No scores in for Matchday 3 yet Matchday 3

A
Acesinc v Juddernaut88
Pink Ball v Running Side

B
Chengdufan v Prop
Rekoons v Badsnookerplayer

Postby Running side

chengdufan wrote:Here's a summary of where we're at at the moment.

Matchday 1

A
Acesinc 1-2 Pink Ball
Running Side 2-1 Juddernaut88

B
Chengdufan 0-3 Rekoons
Badsnookerplayer 3-0 Prop

Matchday 2

A
Acesinc v Running Side (ACES' scores in, waiting for RS)
Pink Ball v Juddernaut88 (Pink's Scores in, waiting for Judders)

B
Rekoons v Prop (Waiting for both players)

No scores in for Matchday 3 yet Matchday 3

A
Acesinc v Juddernaut88
Pink Ball v Running Side

B
Chengdufan v Prop
Rekoons v Badsnookerplayer

playing later today

Postby rekoons

chengdufan wrote:Congrats on your win Rekoons! Seems you weren't too happy with your game, but you have taken all 6 points anyway :-)

I can't help feeling a little frustrated that both my breaks were one point short!
I perhaps should have done better with the 13 break. I was straight on the next red and had to screw back about 3 feet to get position on a colour. I got into the cue ball well and brought it back just the right amount, but putting screw on like that always makes the pot quite a bit more difficult for me and I missed that one.

Oh my, that's a brutal way to lose chengdu! I really don't feel I deserve 6 points with that performance...

Postby chengdufan

acesinc wrote:Hi ChengduFan,

I see on the forum that you are on your match as I write this so best of luck to you. I got in my second match score last night, fair session, again one frame slipped away that I could barely pot a ball. Scores as follows in order Frame 1, Frame 2, Frame 3:

15, 20, 8

Frame 1 was a dog and it seemed I would have my lowest break of any tournament. I missed three or four chances at Black and had high break of 6 until only one Red remained. I potted and left nicely on Blue, then cleared Yellow, Green, Brown for the 15.

Frame 2 perked up for me. At least I potted a number of colours throughout though not more than three pots in a row until the final three Reds remained. I started with a good Red-Brown, bringing me back to the Black end of table. Next Red was supposed to leave me a simple Pink in middle, but my screw was a bit weak so I played a long recovery on the Pink up into the Green pocket. The last Red left me on Black, thin, but only a foot from the top left pocket. Nailed it to seal a twenty. Yellow was out of commission so end break.

Frame 3, nothing to report. Opponent played well and I just managed to pot several solo Blacks for high break of 8.

It looks like these will be my scores for my match with Running Side. As far as I can see, he doesn't have in scores for Matchday 1 yet so these may not apply for a while. His personal high break of 79 and by the sound of his posts, I am guessing he can knock balls in reasonably well. I am hoping the 20 is enough to nick 2 points and maybe I even have an outside chance to win the match with the 15.

Cheers for your efforts,

ACESInc

Running side wrote:Round 2 scores
Frame 1 19 break
Frame 2 13 break
Frame 3 33 break
Thanks

Postby Running side

My usual playing partner returned from holiday so played Saturday evening, he walks in with his old cue case and reveals a different cue,no markings but a really quality piece of wood. After much interrogation he said the holiday cabin in the forest had a games room and the owner had been a good amateur player and coach.He admitted to playing upto 2 hours most evenings, which included been coached and supplied with new cue.From his first shot, new stance, sighting in the centre and timing of strike I new I'd got a different player to contend with.I didn't tell him about the 3 frame SI comp so not to influence him,needless to say his game was on another level but also raised mine. After the 3 frame part we carried on for 2 hours of the most enjoyable snooker session for a long time, at the end managed to play a few shots with his new cue,absolutely fantastic, I need one,apparently holiday camp guy used to get them custom made,charged mate £150 looks like real bargain.

Postby Running side

chengdufan wrote:Running Side 2-1 ACESInc

19-15
13-20
33-8

Thanks chengdu, working off old android phone so never sure.

Postby chengdufan

Pink Ball wrote:Subject: Snooker Island Grand Prix

chengdufan wrote:Matchday 2
A
Pink Ball v Juddernaut88

26, 32, 7

Juddernaut88 wrote:Hello mate I played yesterday. Here are my breaks in the first 3 frames.

Frame 1- 7
Frame 2- 11
Frame 3- 8

Postby chengdufan

Group A after Matchday 2

1. Pink Ball 8 pts (50 break)
2. Running Side 8 pts (33 break)
3. ACESInc 4 pts (21 break)
4. Juddernaut88 4 pts (18 break)

Remaining matches:
Pink Ball v Running Side
ACESInc v Juddernaut88

It's all to play for on matchday 3 with no one guaranteed to go through and no one yet eliminated.

Postby chengdufan

@Prop
@Rekoons

When are you expecting to play your match?

Postby chengdufan

chengdufan wrote:Group A after Matchday 2

1. Pink Ball 8 pts (50 break)
2. Running Side 8 pts (33 break)
3. ACESInc 4 pts (21 break)
4. Juddernaut88 4 pts (18 break)

Remaining matches:
Pink Ball v Running Side
ACESInc v Juddernaut88

It's all to play for on matchday 3 with no one guaranteed to go through and no one yet eliminated.

Just to go through the permutations:
Pink Ball and Running Side each need 2 points to go through. If they make it to 10 points, even if Judders or ACES win 3-0, RS or Pink will go through based on the result between the two player.

ACES or Judders need to finish with more points than either RS or Pink in order to go through to the final. So from the final game they need 6 points (a 3-0 win) and Pink or RS to get 0 or 1, or 5 points (a 2-0 win with a tied frame) and Pink or RS to get 0 (lose 3-0).

I'll hold the results until all 4 players have played.

Postby Prop

chengdufan wrote:@Prop
@Rekoons

When are you expecting to play your match?

No idea mate but I’ll put the feelers out and update you as soon as I know <ok>

Postby Prop

Well. Just messaged my mate and he’s got covid. I’m gonna be stuck for a game for a while :-(

Even this tournament isn’t immune from the bloody thing.

Postby chengdufan

I've received scores from Running Side, Pink Ball and Juddernaut. Just waiting for Acesinc to complete group A

Postby chengdufan

In group B, myself and Badsnookerplayer have one more game, Prop and Rekoons have two more games to play. No scores in so far.

Postby Prop

chengdufan wrote:In group B, myself and Badsnookerplayer have one more game, Prop and Rekoons have two more games to play. No scores in so far.

Struggling to get a game at the minute. Will try my best.

Postby rekoons

chengdufan wrote:In group B, myself and Badsnookerplayer have one more game, Prop and Rekoons have two more games to play. No scores in so far.

Today or tomorrow I should be able to play my frames.