Post a reply

Re: The Snooker Seniors

Postby gninnur karona

Andre147 wrote:Lee Walker has played decent stuff lately.

In fact he has changed his approach to the game since the Yuelong match at the Gibraltar Open which I reffed. He said so in an interview, and I as a referee could see he was hitting the ball very well and could easily have won that match.

Well done Lee Walker!

Seemingly unexpected winner having only beaten Reanne Evans on tour in previous six months.

On closer look, Shoot-Out apart, the other five defeats respected the rankings.

Six defeats in six months!

Not much snooker on the main tour.

So Lee Walker arrives at the Crucible with very little recent matchplay snooker, plays himself into the tournament with a straightforward victory over Tony Knowles, finds form against Stephen Hendry, adds resilience against Ken Doherty, refuses to lose to David Lilley, and turns into an unstoppable force fending off Jimmy White.

Fully deserved winner. Congratulations Lee Walker.

Thought for WST. Inspired by watching Lee Walker. Add a couple of PTC tournaments each month into the calendar. Give players outside the top 16 better chance to attain and maintain match-sharpness.

Postby badtemperedcyril

This is the problem with the flat 128 draw. The lowest ranked players play the top players and tend to get battered. The result of such is £0 bank / ranking points; no more match play for another few weeks. The benefit of the old system, whereby the big boys got seeded through to the third round, was that the lower down guys and gals (or numpties as ROS would refer to them) get to play against players at their own level for a round or two and re-organise the lower ranking order.

Postby The_Abbott

badtemperedcyril wrote:This is the problem with the flat 128 draw. The lowest ranked players play the top players and tend to get battered. The result of such is £0 bank / ranking points; no more match play for another few weeks. The benefit of the old system, whereby the big boys got seeded through to the third round, was that the lower down guys and gals (or numpties as ROS would refer to them) get to play against players at their own level for a round or two and re-organise the lower ranking order.

I think they are changing the UK Championship to help this but they need to make things like the Gibs Open and the British open completely random to give players a chance

Postby badtemperedcyril

The_Abbott wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:This is the problem with the flat 128 draw. The lowest ranked players play the top players and tend to get battered. The result of such is £0 bank / ranking points; no more match play for another few weeks. The benefit of the old system, whereby the big boys got seeded through to the third round, was that the lower down guys and gals (or numpties as ROS would refer to them) get to play against players at their own level for a round or two and re-organise the lower ranking order.

I think they are changing the UK Championship to help this but they need to make things like the Gibs Open and the British open completely random to give players a chance

They had a random draw in the British Open years ago didn’t they. It was quite good fun and something of a gimmick but it’s not a fair method. Ronnie could play Selby or Trump in a b-o-7 first round and one of them goes out in the last 128. That system isn’t going to define an accurate ranking list.

Postby SnookerEd25

badtemperedcyril wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:

They had a random draw in the British Open years ago didn’t they. It was quite good fun and something of a gimmick but it’s not a fair method. Ronnie could play Selby or Trump in a b-o-7 first round and one of them goes out in the last 128. That system isn’t going to define an accurate ranking list.

I thought snooker gave up on an accurate Ranking List aeons ago :shrug:

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerEd25 wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:

i don't think they ever tried having one.

Postby SnookerEd25

HappyCamper wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:

i don't think they ever tried having one.

This is just as true <ok>

Postby HappyCamper

mark selby hasn't been one pf the best four players in the last year.

why focus only on the top four anyway. the rankings apply too the whole tour, getting four out 128 odd accurate really isn't saying much.

Postby SnookerFan

HappyCamper wrote:Snooker mention in crossword clue:

Ban on snooker player in dormitory town? (7,3)

Did we ever get an answer to this?

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerFan wrote:

potters bar.

ban on snooker player = potter's bar

potters bar is a dormitory town in hertfordshire.

Postby SnookerFan

HappyCamper wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

potters bar.

ban on snooker player = potter's bar

potters bar is a dormitory town in hertfordshire.

Oh right.

I bucking hate crosswords. I'd have never got that.